College of Behavioral and Health Sciences
School of Nursing
Location: McCord Bldg., Room 218
The curriculum leading to the degree of the Bachelors of Science in Nursing (BSN) includes general education core, nursing pre-requisite courses, and major requirements offered by the School of Nursing. The APSU School of Nursing offers two tracks for completing the BSN:
- The Pre-Licensure Track is offered synchronously on campus and results in educational eligibility for students to apply to take the NCLEX examination for state licensure through the respective state boards of nursing.
- The RN-BSN Track is designed for Registered Nurses (RNs) who have an active, unencumbered license or new graduates with an associate degree who are eligible for licensure. RNs enrolled in the RN- BSN Track complete online courses in an asynchronous format available 24 hours a day via the University’s web based instructional program.
Once enrolled, students have seven semesters to compete the BSN degree. Extensions may be granted on an individual basis. Students must review their courses of studies with a designated School of Nursing Advisor each semester.
The BSN Program is approved by the Tennessee Department of Health Board of Nursing and the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). These organizations may be reached at:
Tennessee Board of Nursing
665 Mainstream Dr
Nashville, TN, 37243
Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
655 K Street, NW, Suite 750
Washington DC 20001
Admission Requirements for the BSN Pre-Licensure Track
(See www.apsu.edu/nursing for latest admission criteria)
Admissions to Austin Peay does not guarantee acceptance to the nursing program. The nursing program is very competitive and only a limited number of students are admitted each semester.
Fall Start: Application for the Fall Semester are available from March 1st to May 1st of each year. Applications must be submitted to the School of Nursing by 12:00 p.m. on May 1st for consideration for the Fall Semester.
Spring Start: Application for the Spring Semester are available from July 1st to September 1st of each year. Applications must be submitted to the School of Nursing by 12:00 p.m. on September 1st for consideration for the Spring Semester.
Please check the School of Nursing website for the most current application criteria: www.apsu.edu /nursing
In order to apply Pre-licensure student must:
- Be admitted to Austin Peay State University by the School of Nursing application deadline.
- Complete and submit the School of Nursing application by the application deadline. Only completed applications will be considered for admission.
- Have completed at least 30 hours general education core and nursing pre-requisite courses, maintaining a calculated GPA above 3.0.
- Have a documented plan for completion of remaining 18 hours of general education core and nursing prerequisite classes before the start of nursing courses.
- Have completed the prerequisite Biology courses within seven (7) years of the time of application.
Further admission requirements ((for ranking of Pre-licensure applicant pool):
- CALCULATED GPA: A minimum calculated GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Grades for general education core and nursing prerequisite courses will be used to calculate the GPA for nursing admission.
- If a student attempts a course more than once within the past seven years, the grades from every attempt will be used to calculate the admission GPA.
- All general education core and nursing prerequisites must be completed prior to starting nursing courses. If a conditionally accepted student fails to successfully complete all nursing core and prerequisite courses with a “C” or better the student will not be permitted to begin nursing courses.
- Consideration is given to students who have a calculated GPA greater than 3.0 and/or who have completed all core and pre-requisite courses at Austin Peay.
- Students previously enrolled in a nursing program must submit a letter of good standing from the dean/director of the previous nursing program along with a transcript.
- STANDARDIZED EXAMINATION: All pre-licensure applicants are required to complete the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) nursing entrance examination by the School of Nursing application deadline.
- The required examination may only be taken once per application period.
- The fee-based examination must be taken on campus at APSU unless there are extenuating circumstances recognized by the School of Nursing Admission and Retention Committee.
An alternate admission list may be established to fill vacancies that might occur before the beginning of class. Students who are not accepted must reapply to be considered for another admission cycle.