Bulletin/Catalog Year 2020-2021
Martha Dickerson Eriksson College of Education
Department of Educational Specialties
Dr. Thomas Buttery
Chair, Department of Educational Specialties
Location: Claxton Building, Room 304A
Dr. Laura Barnett
Phone: (931) 221-7752
Location: Claxton 208
This performance-based curriculum for prospective school administrators is based on the standards set by the Tennessee Instructional Leadership Standards (TILS). This 30-hour program is designed to prepare candidates for administrative positions in K-12 schools. The M.A.Ed. in Educational Leadership Studies is an online program and designed to be taken as a cohort. Students will complete an internship through field-based experiences that are embedded as assignments within courses. After completing the program and passing the required state exams, students will be eligible for licensure as a Tennessee school administrator.
Listed below are the required application materials and the associated scores (if necessary) for each.
All applicants must submit the following items to the College of Graduate Studies:
- Application for admission
- Application Fee: $45 domestic or $55 international
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended
- Verification of lawful presence in the United States (i.e. driver license or other approved document)
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 and either (a) GRE with scores of 143 verbal and 140 quantitative or (b) Miller’s Analogies Test (MAT) score of 385
- Military documents (if applicable)
- A valid teaching license
- A letter of support from your principal who will agree to mentor you and provide opportunities to complete job-embedded assignments
- A letter of recommendation from a recent supervisor/practicing administrator
- Three years of current summative teacher evaluations*
- A one-page (double-spaced) philosophy of education
Once your application is complete, you will be asked to participate in a program entrance assignment.
*Once you have been accepted, you must submit the TN Department of Education Experience Verification Form within the first semester as evidence of 3 full years of classroom teaching.
For more information about the application process, please visit apsu.edu/grad-studies