May 22, 2024  
2014-2015 Graduate Bulletin 
2014-2015 Graduate Bulletin [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Graduate Fees and Expenses

 Registration Fees for 2014 - 2015 Fiscal Year

Note: Tuition & course fees listed are for academic year 2013-2014. THE TENNESSEE BOARD OF REGENTS WILL ANNOUNCE ACADEMIC YEAR 2014-2015 RATES IN JULY. You may want to plan for an increase of 3% to 9%.

The Tennessee Board of Regents (TBR) recently voted to change the policy related to charging tuition to students who are taking courses at TBR schools. Students will be charged tuition based on his/her classification and number of credit hours for which they are enrolled; the maximum charge for students taking 10 or more credit hours has been removed. Students attending either main campus or Fort Campbell Center will be charged for each credit hour taken. Students attending classes both on main campus and Fort Campbell Center will be charged for each credit hour for which they are enrolled at each campus. There is no change for students taking RODP courses; they are now being charged for each credit hour for which they are enrolled.

All fees are subject to change per Tennessee Board of Regents policy.

Graduate Fees 

Per Semester      
Hours In State* Out of State Regents Online (in-state)
      Important See Note



 * In-State (includes residents of Todd, Trigg, Logan, or Christian counties in Kentucky). For enrollment reporting purposes, students residing in the Kentucky counties of Allen, Calloway and Simpson will be coded as out-of-state students but will not be charged the out-of-state tuition.

Note: Fees for Regents courses have no cap (do not max out at 10 hours).  Graduate students are charged $375 tuition and $93 online course fee for each credit hour taken. The online course fee may not be waived. Fees for Regents courses are charged separately from other registrations.


Board and Room 

  Board in Cafeteria per semester, estimated
Family Housing
Residence Hall Room (average; double-occupancy per semester)
Student Apartment (per semester)

Returnable Deposits 


Housing Prepayment/Housing Deposit


          Student Housing Prepayment (applied to initial dorm charge)


          Family Housing Deposit (refundable)


Special Fees & Charges 

  Application Fee (non-refundable)  
  Graduate $25
  Returned Check Service Charge $30
  Books (estimated per semester) $750
  Graduation Fee (includes commencement regalia)  
    Masters Degree $35
  ID Card (required of all main campus students) no charge
  ID Card Replacement $20
  Late Registration Fee (non-refundable) $50
  New Student Fee (non-refundable) $75
  P.O. Box Rental (required for housing residents) $9
  Online Course Fee  
  Graduate, per credit hour $45

Fee Discounts

Employees of Austin Peay State University

APSU employees (full-time), TBR, and UT employees may enroll for three courses per term on a space available basis.  There is no cost to the employee except for special course fees (web, business, nursing, etc). One course must be submitted on the Form PC 191 and two on the TBR Reimbursement form.  To access these forms, you must go through AP OneStop (Choose Employee/Benefits and Deductions).  The form is routed to your supervisor and human resources for approval and forwarded to the Office of the Bursar before the last day of late registration.  These scholarships are subject to availability of funds.

Children of Vietnam Conflict Veterans

Children of deceased or missing in action Vietnam Conflict veterans who were residents of Tennessee may be eligible for a waiver of tuition and maintenance fees. (Contact the Veterans Affairs Office in Nashville, TN at 1-800-827-1000 for more information and verification procedures.)

Employees of the State Of Tennessee

Full-time employees of the State of Tennessee may enroll in one undergraduate or graduate course at no cost other than special course fees. An approval form available at the following link:, must be submitted each term to the Office of the Bursar before the last day of late registration. These scholarships are subject to availability of funds.

Registration for Students 60 and 65 Years of Age and Over, and Students with Disabilities

  1. Adults 65 years of age or older during the semester, domiciled in Tennessee, may register in courses for credit on a space available basis and pay maximum tuition of $70 and all applicable fees or a Tennessee resident who is 60 years of age or older may audit a course if space is available at no cost (according to Tennessee law) by filing a birth certificate with the Office of the Registrar.
  2. A Tennessee resident who is permanently and totally disabled may register in courses for credit on a space available basis and pay maximum tuition of $70 and all applicable fees or may audit a course if space is available at no cost (according to Tennessee law) by filing an Application for Tuition Reduction Due to Disability and submit proof you are considered 100% disabled through Social Security or other appropriate state or federal agency. To request tuition reduction for disability, you must submit this documentation for each term of enrollment. Request must be submitted prior to the last day of late registration to the Office of the Registrar.

Payments and Fee Adjustments

  1. The University operates on the semester plan and students are expected to pay all expenses when registering at the beginning of each semester. Students can choose to enroll in an installment plan during the fall and/or spring main campus terms only.  The University accepts cash, checks, VISA, MasterCard, American Express and Discover. Payment by electronic check or credit card are accepted online.
  2. Out-of-state, full-time students will be charged each semester for tuition in addition to the graduate maintenance fee. This charge does not apply to students living in Kentucky counties of Allen, Calloway, Christian, Logan, Simpson, Todd and Trigg, which are within the legal service area of APSU (30 mile radius of Clarksville).

Fee Adjustments

Fee adjustments of tuition and fees are pro-rated according to the time the student was enrolled in the University. The dates that percentages apply are published in the Academic Calendar ( 

  1. 100 percent fee adjustment is issued for the following situations:
    1. Courses canceled by the University
    2. Withdrawals between pre-registration period and prior to the first day of classes.
    3. Mandatory withdrawal because the student is declared academically ineligible to enroll or student not eligible to enroll in course being dropped; requires documentation from Dean of Enrollment Management and Academic Support Services.
  2. The fee adjustment for withdrawals or drops during regular terms (fall and spring) is 75% from the first day of classes through the 14th day of classes and then reduced to 25% for a period of time which extends 25% of the term. No fee adjustment after 25% of term has expired.
  3. For summer sessions and other short terms, the 75% fee adjustment period and the 25% fee adjustment period will extend a length of time which is the same proportion of the term as the 75% and 25% periods are of the regular terms.
  4. No fee adjustment when the number of credit hours for courses dropped and courses added on the same day is equal. This is considered a swap.
  5. When courses are included in a regular term’s registration process, but the course does not begin until later in the term, the 75%/25% fee adjustment periods will be based on the particular course’s beginning and ending dates. This does not apply to classes which meet only once per week during regular terms. Those courses will follow the same refund dates as the other courses for the term.
  6. The fee adjustment is calculated as the difference between (1) the cost of originally enrolled hours and (2) the per credit hour cost of the courses at final enrollment after adjustments have been applied for the courses dropped. Adjustments are calculated at the full per credit hour rate less the fee adjustment credit at the applicable fee adjustment percentage with total costs not to exceed full-time tuition. Not all drops/withdrawals will result in a fee adjustment.
  7. Title IV financial aid fee adjustments for students withdrawing during their first term will be calculated on a pro-rata basis and applied to outstanding balances in accordance with the U.S. Department of Education Higher Education Act of 1965 as amended.
  8. Percentage rules apply to out-of-state tuition and refundable fees.

Fee Adjustment Appeals

The University fee adjustment policy is based entirely upon the official date of the withdrawal or change of course which would result in a fee adjustment. Fee adjustments beyond the specified dates or percentages indicated in the “Academic Calendar,” will be made only for reasons published by the University, and only when convincing documentation supports the appeal. If the appeal is granted, the fee adjustment will not exceed 75 percent.

Any individual may appeal the assessment, application, calculation, collection, or interpretation of any University fee, charge, deposit, or refund. Information regarding acceptable reasons for which an appeal may be granted, procedures, and the forms to be completed for these appeals can be found online at

Appeals for fee adjustments are to be submitted online to the Office of Enrollment Management and Academic Support Services. Supporting documentation in reference to your claim must be submitted within 5 business days to the Office of Enrollment Management and Academic Support. Your explanation should demonstrate why an exception to the published policy is justified. Requests that simply disagree with the policy will not be considered.

The Enrollment Management and Academic Support Office will determine if proper University procedures have been followed; all documentation is reviewed by the Associate Provost. A written decision will be sent to the student’s official APSU e-mail account within 2-3 weeks of submission.

Decisions of the Enrollment Management and Academic Support Office may be appealed in writing to the Fee Adjustment Appeals Committee which meets twice each Fall and Spring semester. The committee chairperson will provide a decision in writing via e-mail to the appellant’s official APSU e-mail account.

Appeals of adverse decisions made by this committee must be in writing to the Assistant Vice President for Finance. A written decision of matters appealed to that office will be sent to the student’s official APSU e-mail account.

Financial Aid and Scholarships

Austin Peay State University believes that an education should be accessible to assist students in obtaining the resources needed to pay for their education. Students of academic promise with a strong desire to secure a college education are encouraged to apply for financial assistance. Students applying for financial assistance must be enrolled at least half time in a degree-seeking program and not be considered a special or transient student.

How to Apply for Financial Aid

You must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at after January 1 of each year you plan to attend.  It is not necessary to wait to be accepted for admission to apply for federal financial aid. For further information, contact the Office of Student Financial Aid and Veterans Affairs Office, Ellington 216, Box 4546, Austin Peay State University, Clarksville, Tennessee 37044, telephone (931) 221-7907, toll-free 1-877-508-0057.

Federal Student Aid

Federal Perkins Student Loan

This loan is made with government and APSU funds and is available to graduate students with financial need. It is based on fund availability and pro-rated according to the number of hours enrolled. The interest is fixed at 5% and repayment to Austin Peay State University must begin 9 months after graduation or when the recipient drops below half-time status.  Awards for graduate students range up to $6,000 annually, not to exceed $40,000 (includes any Federal Perkins Student Loan as an undergraduate or graduate student). 

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan

Graduate students can apply for the Federal Direct Unsubsidized loan. You will need to be enrolled in at least 4 graduate hours during the fall and spring semester and at least 3 graduate hours during the summer semester to receive loans. The maximum amount a graduate student can borrow is $20,500 for each academic year not to exceed a combined aggregate limit of $138,500, which is a combination of the student’s undergraduate loans and graduate loans. 

The unsubsidized loan does accrue interest while you are enrolled. You may elect to pay the interest while enrolled or choose to let the interest accrue and capitalize. Repayment of the principal and interest  begins after you cease to be enrolled at least half-time. Loan amounts are restricted by the cost of education, resources available, state and federal regulations.

With Direct Loans, you:

• Borrow directly from the federal government and have a single contact—your loan servicer—for everything related to repayment, even if you receive Direct Loans at different schools.

• Have online access to your Direct Loan account information via your servicer’s website.

• Can choose from several repayment plans and you can switch repayment plans if your needs change. 

To apply, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at Direct Loans are low-interest loans for students to help pay for the cost of education. The lender is the U.S. Department of Education, though most of the contact will be with your loan servicer.  

Disbursement of Funds

It is the policy of the University to disburse one-half of the awarded loan at the beginning of each semester. Loan funds are made available by direct deposit or refund check. If you are enrolled in direct deposit, your loan disbursements are deposited into your bank account on or around the first day of classes of each semester. If you are not participating in direct deposit, your refund check will be mailed by the Office of the Bursar.  

If you are awarded Federal Work Study (FWS), the award is the amount of money you may earn during the academic year and determines the number of hours that may be worked.  FWS recipients must make an appointment with the Office of Student Financial & Veteran Affairs for job placement, and may not start work until approval has been received via AP Mail from the Human Resources office.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Required to Receive and Renew Aid

All students receiving Title IV aid are required to maintain class attendance and satisfactory progress each year as outlined in the Financial Aid Policies and Procedures at

  1. Guidelines
    Graduate students must maintain a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA and attempt less than 72 graduate credits to maintain satisfactory academic progress. Students that do not maintain satisfactory academic progress may appeal for reinstatement.
  2. Appeals
    Appeals should be made to the Office of Student Financial Aid on the appropriate forms. The following circumstances may be considered appropriate reasons for appeal:
    1. Serious illness or accident on the part of the student.
    2. Death or serious illness in the immediate family.
    3. Discontinuance of a course by the University.
    4. Personal complications.

Policy of Class Attendance and Unofficial Withdrawals

Students receiving Federal Title IV Financial Aid must attend class on a regular basis. If you cease to attend class, you should officially withdraw from the University. Students who officially or unofficially withdraw may be held responsible for all or partial repayment of funds. This includes FA, FN grades and/or other changes in enrollment status.

Policy on Allocation of Fee Adjustments and Repayment to Title IV Federal (SEOG, Federal Perkins, Federal Unsubsidized Direct Student Loans)

If you change enrollment status within the first 14 days of classes you may be required to repay all or part of any federal funds disbursed.

If you withdraw from school during a payment period or period of enrollment in which you began attendance, you must return any unearned funds to the Student Financial Aid Programs (SFA). The school must calculate and return the amount of SFA Program assistance you did not earn. Up through the 60% point in each payment period or period of enrollment, a pro-rate schedule is used to determine how much SFA Program funds you have earned at the time of withdrawal. The amount of fee adjustable (or balance outstanding) of institutional charges will be set by the University policy. If you have a student account balance resulting from these adjustments, you are responsible for payment. 

  1. Distribution Among the Title IV Programs
    The University will allocate the Title IV portion of the fee adjustment to the various Title IV program(s) from which the student received aid. The allocation will take place in the following order:
    1. Unsubsidized Stafford Loans, GRAD PLUS Loan
    2. Federal Perkins Loan
  2. Distribution of Repayments of Cash
    Disbursements Made Directly to the Student
    1. If a student officially or unofficially withdraws from or is dismissed by the University on or after the first day of classes of a semester, and the student received a cash disbursement for non-instructional costs under any Title IV program (except Federal Work-Study Program) for that semester, the University will determine whether a portion of that cash disbursement will have to be repaid.
    2. In determining whether a student will have to repay a cash disbursement, the University will subtract from the cash disbursement received by the student the educational costs incurred by him/her for non-instructional charges for that term up to the date of withdrawal or expulsion.
      1. If the expected repayment will total less than $100, no repayment will be required.
    3. The University will apply these policies in a consistent manner to all students receiving Title IV aid.
      1. The University will not allocate any part of the fee adjustment to a Title IV program if the student did not receive aid under the program.
      2. The amount allocated to a program may not exceed the amount the student received from that program.

Part-Time Employment

General Campus Work

Some University departments may have funds to employ students.  Students may work a maximum of 20 hours per week depending on the department’s budget.  Applicants are required to be enrolled a minimum of half-time and maintain a minimum 1.8 GPA. Positions are advertised online at Questions should be referred to the Office of Human Resources at (931) 221-7177. Graduate Assistants must receive approval from the Dean of Graduate Studies before general campus assignments begin.   

Federal Work-Study Program (FWS)

The University receives federal funding to employ students on campus while they pursue their education.  Funds are limited and need based.  Students may work a maximum of 20 hours per week depending on the amount of their award.  Eligibility requires a minimum of half time enrollment and maintain a minimum 1.8 GPA.

 Fellowship, Graduate Assistantship, Scholarship 

Diversity Graduate Fellowship Award

The College of Graduate Studies offers one-year non-renewable diversity graduate fellowships to qualified Tennessee residents. Applicants must be fully admitted to the University and a member of one or more of the underrepresented groups defined in APSU’s definition of diversity. Applicant must be enrolled as a full-time student in a graduate program at APSU during the period of an award. The applicant must be in good academic standing with a grade point average of a “B” (3.0). Recipients are encouraged to apply for a graduate assistantship for subsequent years. Criteria for qualification and application are available in the College of Graduate Studies or online at For more information, contact the College of Graduate Studies, (931) 221-7414.

Graduate Assistantships

Graduate assistantships are available for superior students in each of the academic departments that offer graduate programs and several other areas on campus. Applicants must be fully admitted  into the College of Graduate Studies and degree seeking to qualify for an assistantship. Students will be selected on the basis of their undergraduate GPA, departmental entrance exams [e.g., Graduate Record Examination scores (GRE), Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT)], three letters of recommendation and/or Personal Potential Index (PPI) results.  A complete assistantship job description will be formulated by each supervisor.  Scholarships are issued before the beginning of each academic term.  Stipends are paid semi-monthly. In their assigned locations, graduate assistants (GAs), teaching assistants (TAs), and research assistants (GRAs) are required to work as follows in fall and spring semesters: TAs must have 6 contact hours per week in classroom instruction; GRAs must have 8 contact hours per week in laboratory supervision; and GAs must complete an average of 20 hours per week (total required hours are specified in the academic contract) in supervised activities in the department of their employment.   Another option is a combination of these listed assignments.  Moreover, summer TAs are required to teach 2 courses.  GAs, TAs, and GRAs are not permitted to have additional university employment without permission from the Dean of the College of Graduate Studies. To retain the assistantship for the fall and spring semesters, departmental approval is required and students must be enrolled full-time during their assigned terms and maintain satisfactory academic progress for possible retention. Students awarded fall and spring semester assistantships are not required to take summer classes. Summer appointments for TAs and GAs are required to attend full-time during the summer session(s).  Summer TAs and GAs must adhere to the same requirements as outlined for fall and spring.   

All GAs, TAs, and GRAs are required to a complete the university’s electronic Graduate Assistant Clearance procedure at the end of the assistantship assignment.   If it becomes necessary to resign from the assistantship before the academic contract ends, the student is required to submit such notice in writing, to include the total number of hours worked, to the Dean of Graduate Studies before the last day of employment. In conjunction with the resignation letter, it is imperative for the student to submit a completed Graduate Assistant Clearance Form to the Graduate Dean for  approval. The form is available on the graduate web site at and listed under the Graduate Assistantship link.

A student is eligible to hold an assistantship for only four semesters and must reapply each academic year. Applications for all graduate assistantships must be submitted to the College of Graduate Studies by the published deadline for the following academic year. Award notifications for fall will be made by August 1 each year. GAs, TAs, or GRAs appointments do not include, nor combined with, internships or student teaching assignments.

ROTC Scholarships

Graduate ROTC Scholarships are available for students working on graduate degrees. The scholarship pays full tuition and fees, plus a $1,200 book allowance per year for a two-year period. Additionally, graduate students enrolled in the ROTC two-year program receive a monthly living allowance while in school at $450 their junior year, and $500 their senior year. To participate, a student must be a U.S. citizen, be under 31 in the year they will graduate, and must be willing to continue service as an Army officer. For more information, email or 931-221-6156.

Other Forms of Financial Assistance

Vocational Rehabilitation

Students with a physical disability may obtain grants-in-aid, providing assistance with college-related costs through the Tennessee Vocational Rehabilitation Service. Tennessee residents should request information from the high school guidance counselor or write to Coordinator, Division of Vocational Rehabilitation, 1808 West End Building, Nashville, Tennessee 37203. Students residing in other states should contact the similar agency in their state. This program is different from GI Bill Chapter 31-Vocational Rehabilitation.

Veterans Affairs Benefits

All degree programs offered by Austin Peay State University, as listed in this BULLETIN, are deemed approved for VA education benefit training. The Office of Veterans Affairs (OVA) must certify each VA recipient’s training to the US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) before any payments will be made.   VA education benefits are paid only for courses that are needed to fulfill graduation requirements for the recipient’s program of study.  APSU OVA has two locations: Ellington Building, Room 135 for Main Campus; and SSG Glenn H English, Jr. Army Education Center, Bldg. 202, Room 137 for APSU Center at Fort Campbell. The OVA maintains all necessary forms for active duty service persons, reservists, Guardsmen, dependents and veterans. Any questions relating to VA training at APSU should be directed to the OVA. However, the OVA does not make decisions on eligibility for VA education benefits or on the amount and length of entitlement a student is eligible under those benefits. To receive a formal decision, the student must file a claim with the VA, who makes final determination on eligibility and payment amount. All claims should be filed through the appropriate APSU OVA, so that copies are maintained in the student’s APSU file. The programs under which the student may be eligible for VA education benefits are listed below. To determine specific eligibility requirements, direct questions to the OVA or to the VA at 1-888GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551). 

  1. Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty Educational Assistance (MGIB-AD) - Chapter 30
  2. Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E)  - Chapter 31
  3. Post-Vietnam Era Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program (VEAP) - Chapter 32
  4. Post 9/11 GI Bill - Chapter 33
  5. Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA) - Chapter 35
  6. Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve Educational Assistance (MGIB-SR) - Chapter 1606
  7. Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) – Chapter 1607
  8. National Call to Service Program
  9. Tuition Assistance Top Up (TA Top-up)

*NOTE: For first time students utilizing VA education benefits at APSU, you must contact one of the APSU’s Veterans Affairs Office to complete your VA education benefit packet.

Avoiding VA Education Overpayment

As a VA education benefits recipient, you should understand what you can do to prevent an overpayment:

  1. Report Changes in Enrollment: Promptly report any changes in enrollment to APSU OVA and the VA. If APSU is notified and not VA, it may take longer to correct payments. Please take note VA payment for a month of school attendance is normally made during the following month; that is, on a reimbursable basis. If payment is received during a month following a change in enrollment status, verify entitlement to the payment. If the amount has not changed from the previous payment and there has been a reduction in the rate of training, contact APSU OVA or VA for a status review.
  2. Understand the Consequences of Changes:
    1. If you receive a “nonpunitive” grade of “W” or “I”, reduce, or terminate enrollment; VA will be notified. Upon receipt of the notice, VA will reduce or terminate benefits. The payment of VA education benefits will not be made for any course that is not computed in the graduation requirements of the program.
    2. If there is a change of enrollment after the regular drop/add period, the OVA will ask for a statement explaining the events surrounding the change. The law states that no payments will be made for a course from which you drop, or receive a “nonpunitive” grade of “W” or “I”, unless there are “mitigating circumstances” surrounding the change. VA defines “mitigating circumstances” as unanticipated and unavoidable events which interfere with a student’s pursuit of a course. If you fail to provide a statement of supporting evidence or the reasons you give are not accepted as “mitigating circumstances,” VA will reduce or terminate benefits from the start of the term. Examples of unacceptable “mitigating circumstances” include, but are not limited to withdrawal to avoid a failing grade, dislike of instructor and too many courses attempted. The APSU OVA can advise you on acceptable “mitigating circumstances.”
    3. You must report changes in dependency to VA, including self, if receiving an additional allowance for family members.
  3. If a VA Education Overpayment is Created: VA is required to take prompt and aggressive action to recover the overpayment. The VA Debt Management Center will notify you of the overpayment.  The following actions may be taken if an overpayment is not promptly liquidated:

     a.  Adding interest and collection fees to the debt.

     b.  Withholding future benefits to apply to the debt.

     c.  Referring the debt to a private collection agency.

     d.  Offsetting the debt from your federal income tax fee adjustment.

     e.  Offsetting the debt from your salary, if a federal employee.

     f.  Filing a lawsuit in federal court to collect the debt.

     g.  Withholding approval of a VA home loan guarantee pending payment of the debt.

  1. If you owe VA:  Payments for VA overpayments are not made to APSU.  Contact the VA Debt Management Center at 1-800-827-0648 or (7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. CST) for payment options.

*NOTE: If benefits were transferred to you under the Post 9/11 GI Bill and the active service member does complete his or her service obligation, then VA will revoke the education benefits and you will be responsible to pay the benefits back to VA.

Eligibility for Deferment of Payment of Tuition and Fees by Certain Eligible Students Receiving U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs or Other Governmentally Funded Educational Assistance Benefits

Service members, veterans, and dependents of veterans who are eligible beneficiaries of U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs education benefits or other governmentally funded educational assistance, subject to the conditions and guidelines set forth in Tennessee Code Annotated 49-7-104 as amended, may elect, upon formal application, to defer payment of required tuition and fees until the final day of term for which the  deferment has been requested. Application for the deferment must be made no later than 14 days after the beginning of the term, and the amount of the deferment shall not exceed the total monetary benefits to be received for the term. Students who have been granted deferments are expected to make timely payments on their outstanding tuition and fees balance once education benefits are being delivered, and eligibility for such deferment shall terminate if the student fails to abide by any applicable rule or regulation, or to act in good faith in making timely payments. This notice is published pursuant to Public Chapter 279, Acts of 2003, effective July 1, 2003.

*NOTE: Students who have a VA education benefits overpayment are not eligible for a deferment.

Admission to the University is Required for Receiving VA Education Benefits

Students must be fully admitted and seeking a degree at APSU in order to qualify for VA educational benefits. Non-degree seeking students do not qualify for VA education benefits. Admission application is made through the APSU’s Office of Admissions in the Ellington Building and online at Fort Campbell applicants may apply through the Office of Enrollment Services at the APSU Center @ Fort Campbell.  Visiting students must be in good standing andhave a parent institution approval letter.  Active duty servicemembers, Guardsmen and Army reservists will apply for Admissions through GoArmyEd.

Applying for VA Education Benefits/Initial Tuition Requirements

Application for VA education benefits is made through the appropriate APSU OVA. For veterans, Guardsmen and reservists, a copy of the DD-214 discharge certificate is required with both the application for admission and the application for VA education benefits. Reservists and Guardsmen must submit a copy of the DD Form 2384 (Notice of Basic Eligibility) to the appropriate OVA. For those students who have remaining eligibility under the Vietnam ERA GI Bill (Chapter 34); copies of marriage license, birth certificates for all children who are claimed as dependents and any applicable divorce decrees are required for submission in order to claim those family members for VA education benefit payment. Application for VA education benefits does not constitute an application for admission to the University. Students must be prepared to pay tuition and fees at the time of registration. It may take 8 to 12 weeks following an initial application for VA education benefits before payment can be expected.

For further information, contact the APSU OVA or visit our website at

Critical Areas of Concern for Continuing VA Certification for Benefits

Matriculation: VA considers a student to have matriculated when he/she has been officially admitted to APSU as pursuing an approved degree. This means that all documents necessary to be admitted as a regular, degree-seeking student must be received by the Office of Admissions before matriculation is complete. Students who have not been officially admitted into a degree program are not eligible for VA education benefits.  The requirements for full admission must be completed prior to enrollment (see Admission to Graduate Studies). Certification for VA education benefits will not be submitted beyond one term of enrollment for non-matriculation students. The following documents are required for matriculation:

  1. Application for admission;
  2. All higher education transcripts from other schools (includes Community College of the Air Force) and non-traditional college credits;
  3. All applicable test scores (refer to Graduate Admissions Requirements) and
  4. All military personnel (active duty, reservists, and veterans) must submit documents for military credit.

Proper Degree Pursuit: In order to be certified to receive VA education benefits, students are required to be degree-seeking and enrolled in an approved degree program of study as listed in this Bulletin. Benefit payments will only be made for those courses required in the approved program of study which count for graduation credit. Students must enroll in and attend the degree-granting institution in order to receive VA education benefits. If a change of program is desired, the VA must be notified by submitting the appropriate notification forms through the OVA.

Audited, Repeated or Excessive Courses: VA education benefit payment will not be made for courses which have been previously passed, whether at APSU or accepted as transfer credit. Electives are considered to be courses which are required for graduation as long as they do not exceed the maximum number of credit hours required for graduation. Electives will not be considered for certification purposes until the prior credit evaluation (approved Graduate Program of Study) is on file with the appropriate OVA.  Excessive courses are those courses that a student completes, but the courses will not be used in computing hour requirements for graduation.  Excessive courses will not be certified for VA payment.

Repeated, Failed or Unacceptable Courses:  APSU honors a “forgiveness” policy that allows students to repeat a failed or unacceptable grade for a course.  If the student receives a passing grade, the original grade is “forgiven” (excluded) and becomes a non-punitive grade (no longer counts in the GPA).  Once this course has been “forgiven”, the school is required to report this to VA which may result in an overpayment.  For more details, visit

Certification Request Form: The enrollment certification request is to be used by active duty service members, veterans, reservists, Guardsmen and dependents to request that their enrollment be certified to the U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs for education benefits.  This process must be completed every term of enrollment (i.e., Fall, Spring, Summer).  For additional information, please visit our website at

Military Credit:  Students may be eligible to receive non-traditional credit for military experiences.  Please refer to the Transfer Credit Policy with the Office of the Registrar for more details.

Accelerated, Independent or Hybrid Courses: Accelerated, independent and hybrid courses may affect your VA monthly benefit.  VA considers accelerated courses as non-standard terms and training time will be based on the actual dates of enrollment. VA considers independent and hybrid courses as distance learning which may impact the Post 9/11 GI Bill monthly housing allowance. 

Prior Credit Evaluation

An enrollment certification submitted for a VA education benefit recipient initially enrolling at APSU, or initiating a program of study different from that previously pursued, must reflect the amount of credit allowed for previous education, training or experience, including military training and experience. This is called “prior credit,” and is that credit which, when applied to the student’s current program of study, shortens the program accordingly. The process by which this prior credit is determined is as follows: when a student initially enrolls, all documents required for matriculation must be received by the Admissions Office. Following receipt, these documents are evaluated by the Office of the Registrar for transfer credit; that is, the credit from other institutions of higher education, military, etc., which are accepted by APSU as graduate level transfer credit. Students receive a copy of this evaluation after or upon its completion. This completed transfer credit evaluation must be applied to the individual program of study to shorten that program, and the result is PC. This prior credit must be reported to VA, once the student has earned 12 graduate credit hours or prior to the end of the first term of enrollment, whichever occurs first. Once prior credit is evaluated, it is not required again, unless the program of study changes; then, prior credit must be re-evaluated in application to the new program.

Change of Program

The OVA must be informed if a student wishes to change his/her program of study, and the proper request form submitted to the VA. Upon making a program change, all previous course work at APSU or other institutions must be applied to the new program as prior credit. Chapter 31 VA Vocational Rehabilitation students may not change their degree programs without prior approval from the VA Vocational Rehabilitation counselor.

Satisfactory Progress

OVA must report the student’s unsatisfactory progress and terminate VA education benefits, at such time he or she no longer meets APSU’s standards of progress. All grades, no matter when earned, are part of the permanent transcript and are factored into academic progress. Students placed on academic probation must bring their GPA above the probationary level during the following term of enrollment for which probation was awarded or VA education benefits will be terminated. If benefits are terminated for unsatisfactory academic progress (academic suspension), a written request  on VA form 22-8873 must be submitted to VA by the student for benefits to be reinstated.

Dual Enrollment Between Main Campus and Fort Campbell

Enrolling at both main campus and Fort Campbell creates a special reporting requirement, because the VA classifies main campus and Fort Campbell as two separate educational institutions. Pursuit of a main campus degree makes the main campus the primary degree-granting institution (primary school), and vice versa. Students must be admitted to and pursing a degree at their primary institution. Students are allowed to temporarily enroll at the secondary institution in classes that apply to the primary degree program. Enrolling at the secondary institution makes a student either transient or concurrently enrolled. Transient means a student is temporarily attending only the secondary institution, and concurrently enrolled means that the student is attending both primary and secondary institutions simultaneously. The OVA’s at both campuses have the necessary paperwork, whereby courses at the secondary institution must be validated by the primary institution before they can be certified to VA for payment. Students who are receiving VA education benefits should consult their primary institution’s OVA before enrolling as a transient or concurrently enrolled student.

Attending Another Institution While Receiving VA Education Benefits at Austin Peay

Students who plan to attend another institution (in a transient status) while attending and receiving VA education benefit at APSU MUST see the appropriate OVA prior to registering/enrolling at the other institution, or VA education benefits for the enrollment at the other institution will be significantly delayed or disallowed.  The student must be in good standing.

Attendance Policy

In order to prevent or reduce overpayment of VA education benefits, students are reminded that it is the student’s responsibility to keep the APSU OVA informed of any change in enrollment status. This includes drops, adds, withdrawals and unofficial withdrawals. The OVA recommends that students review the APSU attendance policy in the University BULLETIN, attend class and take the final exam if one is required. When the OVA is notified by a faculty member that a student’s attendance has been unsatisfactory, the benefits for that class will be terminated from the last recorded date of attendance, as provided by the faculty member. If no last date of attendance is provided, benefits will be terminated effective the first day of the term.

A grade of “FN” (student has never attended class) results in the termination of benefits from the first day of the term; a grade of “FA” results in termination from the last recorded date of attendance.  FN and FA are punitive grades and will be reported to VA immediately.

VA will not pay education benefits to an individual for a course from which the individual has withdrawn or received a non-punitive grade (I or W) which is not used in computing the requirements for graduation.


APSU Live Mail is the official and primary correspondence method.  Once admitted to APSU, you will be assigned an APSU Live Mail account.  The OVA will utilize the APSU Live Mail for VA announcements, reminders and notification.

Students may use AP One Stop for Students ( to view all their APSU VA information. This web site will inform the VA student of his/her approved certified courses as well as possible missing requirements.