Jul 19, 2024  
2022-2023 Graduate Bulletin 
2022-2023 Graduate Bulletin [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Graduate Fees and Expenses

Registration Fees for 2020-2021 Fiscal Year

A student will be charged tuition based on his or her classification and the number of credit hours in which enrolled; the maximum charge for a student taking 10 or more credit hours has been removed. Students attending either the Clarksville campus or Fort Campbell Center will be charged for each credit hour taken. Students attending classes at both the Clarksville campus and the Fort Campbell Center will be charged for each credit hour for which they are enrolled in at each campus. There are no additional charges for students taking TN e-Campus courses; they are now charged for each credit hour in which they are enrolled.

All fees are subject to change per APSU’s Board of Trustees’ policy.  To view fees and tuition go to the following website: http://www.apsu.edu/student-account-services/tuition_and_fees/.  

Fee Discounts
Employees of Austin Peay State University

APSU employees (full-time), Tennessee Public Universities, and UT employees may enroll for three courses per term on a space available basis.  There is no cost to the employee except for special course fees (web, business, nursing, etc). One course must be submitted on the Fee Waiver and two on the Reimbursement Form.  To access these forms, you must go through AP OneStop (Choose Employee/Benefits and Deductions).  The forms are routed to your supervisor and human resources for approval and then forwarded to Student Account Services before the last day of late registration.  These scholarships are subject to availability of funds. For more information on APSU employees, please visit Policy 5:001 Educational Expenses for APSU Employees at http://www.apsu.edu/student-account-services/pdfs/discounts_waivers/STATE_EMP_FEE_WAIVER.pdf

Veterans’ Dependents’ Post Secondary Education Assistance

A dependent child whose parent was killed or died as a direct result of injuries receive, or whose parent has been officially reported as being either a prisoner of war or missing in action while serving honorably as a member of the United States Armed Forces during a qualifying period of armed conflict, or a person who is the spouse of such an active duty service member, may be eligible for a waiver of tuition and required registration or matriculation fees, and may be admitted without cost to any of the institutions of higher education owned, operated, and maintained by the state of Tennessee, as long as certain age limits, time periods of eligibility, and residency requirements are met. For further information and verification procedures, contact the APSU Student Financial Aid and Veterans Affairs Office at (931) 221-7907 or visit http://apsu.edu/veterans-affairs/applicant-checklists/how-apply-va-education-benefits-new-students.php.

Employees of the State Of Tennessee

Full-time employees of the State of Tennessee may enroll in one undergraduate or graduate course at no cost other than special course fees. An approval form for this fee waiver must be submitted each term to Student Account Services before the last day of late registration. This form can be found at http://www.apsu.edu/student-account-services/pdfs/discounts_waivers/STATE_EMP_FEE_WAIVER.pdf.  These fee waivers are subject to availability of funds.

Registration for Students 60 and 65 Years of Age and Over, and Students with Disabilities

Adults domiciled in Tennessee who are sixty-five (65) years of age or older, may register in courses for credit on a space available basis and pay maximum tuition of $70 and all applicable fees. A Tennessee resident who is sixty (60) years of age or older may audit a course at no cost if space is available (according to Tennessee law) by filing a birth certificate with the Office of the Registrar.

A Tennessee resident who is permanently and totally disabled may register in a course for credit on a space available basis and pay maximum tuition of $70 and all applicable fees or may audit a course if space is available at no cost (according to Tennessee law) by filing an Application for Tuition Reduction Due to Disability.  Proof of 100% disability through the Social Security Office or another appropriate state or federal agency must be submitted with the application. Documentation must be submitted for each term of enrollment. Requests must be submitted to the Office of Disability Services prior to the last day of late registration. The Application for Tuition Reduction Due to Disability can be found at http://www.apsu.edu/disability/forms.php.

Payments and Fee Adjustments

The University operates on the semester plan and students are expected to pay all expenses when registering at the beginning of each semester. Students can choose to enroll in an installment plan during the fall and/or spring Clarksville campus terms only. The University accepts cash, checks, VISA, MasterCard, American Express and Discover. Payments by electronic check or credit card are accepted online.

For additional information on the Installment Payment Plan, please visit: https://www.apsu.edu/student-account-services/your-account/payment/installment_plan.php

Out-of-state, full-time students will be charged each semester for tuition in addition to the graduate maintenance fee. This charge does not apply to students living in the Kentucky counties of Allen, Calloway, Christian, Logan, Simpson, Todd and Trigg, which are within the legal service area of APSU (30 mile radius of Clarksville).

Fee Adjustments

Fee adjustments of tuition and fees are pro-rated according to the time the student was enrolled in the University. The dates that percentages apply are published in the Academic Calendar at http://www.apsu.edu/registrar/acadcal.php

  1. A one hundred percent (100%) fee adjustment is issued for the following situations:
    1. Courses canceled by the University.
    2. Withdrawals between the pre-registration period and prior to the first day of classes.
    3. Mandatory withdrawal because the student is declared academically ineligible to enroll or the student is not eligible to enroll in a course being dropped. This requires documentation from the Associate Provost of Enrollment Management and Academic Support Services.
  2. The fee adjustment for withdrawals or drops during regular terms (fall and spring) is 75% from the first day of classes through the 14th day of classes and then reduced to 25% for a period of time which extends 25% of the term. No fee adjustment will be made after 25% of term has expired.
  3. For summer sessions and other short terms, the 75% fee adjustment period and the 25% fee adjustment period will extend a length of time which is the same proportion of the term as the 75% and 25% periods of the regular terms.
  4. No fee adjustment will occur when the number of credit hours for courses dropped and courses added on the same day is equal. This is considered a swap.
  5. When a course is included in a regular term’s registration process, but the course does not begin until later in the term, the 75%/25% fee adjustment periods will be based on the particular course’s beginning and ending dates. This does not apply to classes that meet only once per week during regular terms. Those courses will follow the same refund dates as the other courses for the term.
  6. The fee adjustment is calculated as the difference between (a) the cost of originally enrolled hours and (b) the per credit hour cost of the courses at final enrollment after adjustments have been applied for the courses dropped. Adjustments are calculated at the full per credit hour rate less the fee adjustment credit at the applicable fee adjustment percentage, with total costs not to exceed full-time tuition. Not all drops or withdrawals will result in a fee adjustment.
  7. Title IV financial aid fee adjustments for students withdrawing during their first term will be calculated on a pro-rata basis and applied to outstanding balances in accordance with the U.S. Department of Education Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended.
  8. Percentage rules apply to out-of-state tuition and refundable fees.
Fee Adjustment Appeals
  • The University fee adjustment policy is based entirely upon the official date of the withdrawal or change of course which would result in a fee adjustment. Fee adjustments beyond the specified dates or percentages indicated in the “Academic Calendar” will be made only for reasons published by the University and only when convincing documentation supports the appeal. If the appeal is granted, the fee adjustment will not exceed 75 percent.
  • Any individual may appeal the assessment, application, calculation, collection, or interpretation of any University fee, charge, deposit, or refund. Information regarding acceptable reasons for which an appeal may be granted, procedures, and the forms to be completed can be found online at http://www.apsu.edu/appeals/.
  • Appeals for fee adjustments are to be submitted online to the Office of Enrollment Management and Academic Support Services. Supporting documentation in reference to a claim must be submitted within five (5) business days to the Office of Enrollment Management and Academic Support. A supporting explanation should demonstrate why an exception to the published policy is justified. Requests that simply disagree with the policy will not be considered.
  • The Enrollment Management and Academic Support Office will determine if proper University procedures have been followed. All documentation will be reviewed by the Associate Provost. A written decision will be sent to the student’s official APSU e-mail account within 2-3 weeks of submission.
  • Decisions of the Enrollment Management and Academic Support Office may be appealed in writing to the Fee Adjustment Appeals Committee which meets twice each Fall and Spring semester. The committee chairperson will provide a decision in writing via e-mail to the appellant’s official APSU e-mail account.
  • Appeals of adverse decisions made by this committee must be in writing to the Associate Vice President for Finance. A written decision of matters appealed to that office will be sent to the student’s official APSU e-mail account.
Financial Aid and Scholarships

Austin Peay State University believes that an education should be accessible to assist students in obtaining the resources needed to pay for their education. Students of academic promise with a strong desire to secure a college education are encouraged to apply for financial assistance. Students applying for financial assistance must be enrolled at least half time in degree-seeking programs and not be considered special or transient students.

How to Apply for Financial Aid

To apply for financial aid, a student must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.gov, as early as possible, each year of planned attendance. For further information, contact the Office of Student Financial Aid and Veterans Affairs, located in Ellington 216, by mail to P.O. Box 4546, Clarksville, Tennessee, 37044, by telephone at (931) 221-7907, toll-free (877) 508-0057, or by email at sfao@apsu.edu.

Federal Student Aid

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan

Graduate students can apply for the Federal Direct Unsubsidized loan. Students must be enrolled in at least 3 graduate hours to receive loans. The maximum amount a graduate student can borrow is $20,500 for each academic year, not to exceed a combined aggregate limit of $138,500, which is a combination of the student’s undergraduate loans and graduate loans.

The unsubsidized loan does accrue interest while the student is enrolled. The student may elect to pay the interest while enrolled or choose to let the interest accrue. Repayment of the principal and interest begins when the student is no longer enrolled at least half-time. Loan amounts are restricted by the cost of education, resources available, and state and federal regulations.

With Direct Loans, you:

• Borrow directly from the federal government and have a single contact—your loan servicer—for everything related to repayment, even if you receive Direct Loans at different schools.

• Have online access to your Direct Loan account information via your servicer’s website.

• Can choose from several repayment plans and you can switch repayment plans if your needs change.

To apply, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.gov. Direct Loans are low-interest loans for students to help pay for the cost of education. The lender is the U.S. Department of Education, though most of the contact will be with your loan servicer.

Disbursement of Funds

It is the policy of the University to disburse one-half of the awarded loan at the beginning of each semester. Loan funds are made available by direct deposit or refund check. If you are enrolled in direct deposit, your loan disbursements are deposited into your bank account on or around the first day of classes of each semester. If you are not participating in direct deposit, your refund check will be mailed by Student Account Services.

If you are awarded Federal Work Study (FWS), the award is the amount of money you may earn during the academic year and determines the number of hours that may be worked.  FWS recipients must make an appointment with the Office of Student Financial & Veteran Affairs for job placement, and may not start work until approval has been received via AP Mail from the Human Resources office.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Required to Receive and Renew Aid

All students receiving Title IV aid are required to maintain class attendance and satisfactory progress each year as outlined in the Financial Aid Policies and Procedures at http://apsu.edu/financialaid/Satisfactory_Academic_Progress_Policy_2017-2018.pdf

A graduate student must maintain a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA and have a 67% completion ratio (total number of combined attempted hours / total overall combined earned hours). Students that do not maintain satisfactory academic progress may appeal for reinstatement.

Appeals should be made to the Office of Student Financial Aid & Veterans Affairs on the appropriate form. The following circumstances may be considered appropriate reasons for an appeal:

  • Serious illness or accident on the part of the student
  • Death or serious illness in the immediate family
  • Discontinuance of a course by the University
  • Personal complications

Further information and forms for satisfactory academic progress appeals can be found at http://apsu.edu/financialaid/sat_prog.php.

Policy of Class Attendance and Unofficial Withdrawals

Students receiving Federal Title IV Financial Aid must attend class on a regular basis. If you cease to attend class, you should officially withdraw from the University. Students who officially or unofficially withdraw may be held responsible for all or partial repayment of funds. This includes FA (failure, stopped attending and reported within 14 days of the last date of attendance), FN (failure, never attended and reported within the first 14 days of class) grades and/or other changes in enrollment status.

Withdrawal and Allocation of Refunds for Return of Title IV

General Information
Students are awarded grants, loans, scholarships and other types of financial assistance for the purpose of completing a degree. Students who receive federal, state, institutional and other forms of financial assistance may be penalized for not completing the courses in which they enroll. 

When students enroll in courses and subsequently do not complete all or some of these courses, they may be financially liable for the tuition and fees and may be required to pay back the aid awarded. Attempting and not completing courses will impact a student’s completion rate, which in turn may impact eligibility for financial aid. Review our Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy for more details.

Official and Unofficial Withdrawals
If students drop classes on or before the census date, or if faculty report FA (failure, stopped attending and reported within 14 days of the last date of attendance) or FN (failure, never attended and reported within the first 14 days of class) grades, aid may be adjusted. This adjustment may have a serious financial impact that results in the student owing money to the university.

If students receive federal financial aid, they must complete at least 60% of the semester or module to earn 100% of their aid. If a student officially or unofficially withdraws before completing 60% of the semester or module, APSU is required to perform a Return of Title IV funds calculation. This calculation determines if the university is required to return a portion or all of the federal aid to the government. Students may also be responsible for repaying any applicable tuition and fees for the courses that were attempted but not completed. Typically, a Return of Title IV funds will result in a billing and a balance owed to the university. 

If a student who had borrowed loans officially or unofficially drops below half-time status, the APSU Office of the Registrar will notify the Clearing House, which will trigger the six month grace period for loan repayment. The student will also receive notification from APSU to complete the required loan exit counseling.

Modular Course Withdrawals
A modular withdrawal occurs when a student registered in modules does not complete the entire enrollment period. To potentially prevent a Return of Title IV billing, a student may provide confirmation to the Office of Student Financial Aid of plans to attend a future course via the Notification of Enrollment Post Withdrawal form. Modular course withdrawals may result in a significant billing to the student.

For full details and examples review the Withdrawal & Return of Title IV Funds.

Part-Time Employment
General Campus Work

Some University departments may have funds to employ students. While enrolled in classes, students may work a maximum of 20 hours per week depending on the department’s budget.  Applicants are required to be enrolled at least half-time and maintain a minimum 1.8 GPA. Positions are advertised online at https://apsu-csm.symplicity.com/students/?signin_tab=0. Questions should be referred to Career Services at (931) 221-6544. 

Federal Work-Study Program (FWS)

The University receives federal funding to employ students on campus while they pursue their education.  Funds are limited and need based. Students may work a maximum of 20 hours per week depending on the amount of their awards.  Eligibility requires a minimum of half time enrollment and maintain a minimum 1.8 GPA.

Fellowship, Graduate Assistantship, Scholarship
Diversity Grant Fellowship Award

The College of Graduate Studies offers one-year non-renewable Diversity Grant Fellowships to qualified Tennessee residents. Applicants must be fully admitted to the University and a member of one or more of the underrepresented groups as defined in APSU’s definition of diversity. An applicant must be enrolled as a full-time student in a graduate program at APSU during the period of an award. The applicant must be in good academic standing with a minimum grade point average of 3.25. Recipients are encouraged to apply for a graduate assistantship for subsequent years. Criteria for qualification and applications are available in the College of Graduate Studies or online at http://www.apsu.edu/grad-studies/graduate-assistantships-financial-support/diversity-fellowship-grant.php . For more information, contact the College of Graduate Studies at (931) 221-7414 or gradstudies@apsu.edu.

Graduate Assistantships

Graduate assistantships are available for superior students in each of the academic departments that offer graduate programs and several other areas on campus. Applicants must be fully admitted into the College of Graduate Studies and degree seeking to qualify for assistantships. Students will be selected on the merits as determined by the hiring departments, but most often metrics such as undergraduate GPA, departmental entrance exams [e.g., Graduate Record Examination scores (GRE), Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT)], letters of recommendation and/or Personal Potential Index (PPI) are used for deliberations and the of awarding assistantships.  Graduate assistantship duties tend to vary based on the department and the type of assistantship. APSU has three types of assistantships: Graduate Administrative Assistant (GAA), Graduate Research Assistant (GRA) and Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA). More information can be found at http://www.apsu.edu/grad-studies/graduate-assistantships-financial-support/index.php. It is recommended to review Policy 2:054 Employment of Graduate Assistants at http://www.apsu.edu/policy/2s_academic_policies/2054-employment-graduate-assistants.php. Graduate assistants may work up to 20 hours per week in their assigned departments.

If it becomes necessary to resign from an assistantship before the academic contract ends, the student is required to submit such notice in writing before the last day of employment to the Dean of the College of Graduate Studies.

A student is eligible to hold an assistantship for up to six (6) semesters and must reapply each academic year. Applications for all graduate assistantships must follow the procedures described on the College of Graduate Studies website http://apsu.edu/grad-studies/graduate-assistantships-financial-support/index.php.

ROTC Scholarships

Graduate ROTC Scholarships are available for students working on graduate degrees. The scholarship pays full tuition and fees, plus a $1,200 book allowance per year for a two-year period. Additionally, a graduate students enrolled in the ROTC two-year program receives a monthly living allowance while in school of $450 for the first  year, and $500 the second year. To participate, a student must be a U.S. citizen, be under 31 in the year they will graduate, and must be willing to continue service as an Army officer. For more information, email APSUROTC@apsu.edu or 931-221-6156.

Other Forms of Financial Assistance

Vocational Rehabilitation–Students with physical disabilities may obtain grants-in-aid, providing assistance with college-related costs through the Tennessee Vocational Rehabilitation Service. Tennessee residents should request information from their high school guidance counselor or write to the Coordinator, Division of Vocational Rehabilitation, 1808 West End Building, Nashville, Tennessee 37203. Students residing in other states should contact similar agencies in their states. This program is different from Chapter 31-VA Veteran Readiness and Employment.

Veterans Affairs Education Benefits and Programs

All degree programs offered by Austin Peay State University, as listed in this Bulletin, are deemed approved for VA education benefit training. The Office of Veterans Education Benefits (VEBO) must certify each VA recipient’s training to the US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) before any payments will be made.   VA education benefits are paid only for courses that are needed to fulfill graduation requirements for the recipient’s program of study.  APSU VEBO has two locations: Ellington Building, Room 202 for Clarksville Campus; and SSG Glenn H English, Jr. Army Education Center, Bldg. 202, Room 140 for APSU Center at Fort Campbell. The VEBO maintains all necessary forms for active duty service persons, reservists, Guardsmen, dependents and veterans. Any questions relating to VA training at APSU should be directed to the VEBO. However, the VEBO does not make decisions on eligibility for VA education benefits or on the amount and length of entitlement a student is eligible under those benefits. To receive a formal decision, the student must file a claim with the VA, who makes final determination on eligibility and payment amount. All claims should be filed through the appropriate APSU VEBO, so that copies are maintained in the student’s APSU file. The programs under which the student may be eligible for VA education benefits are listed below. To determine specific eligibility requirements, direct questions to the VEBO or to the VA at 1-888GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551). (GI Bill® is a federally registered trademark of by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.)

  1. Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty (MGIB-AD) - Chapter 30
  2. Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E)  - Chapter 31
  3. Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program (VEAP) - Chapter 32
  4. Post 9/11 GI Bill - Chapter 33
  5. Transfer of Entitlement Option - Post 9/11 GI Bill - Chapter 33 TOE
  6. Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship - FRY
  7. Survivors and Dependents Education Assistance (DEA) - Chapter 35
  8. Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) - Chapter 1606
  9. Edith Nourse Rogers STEM Scholarship (Post 9/11 GI Bill STEM)
  10. National Call to Service Program
  11. Tuition Assistance Top Up (TA Top-up)

*NOTE: First time students utilizing VA education benefits at APSU must contact one of the APSU’s Office of Veterans Education Benefits to complete the VA education benefit packet.

Avoiding VA Education Overpayment

As a VA education benefits recipient, you should understand what you can do to prevent an overpayment:

1.  Report Changes in Enrollment: Promptly report any changes in enrollment to APSU VEBO and the VA. If APSU is notified and not the VA, it may take longer to correct payments. Please take note:  VA payment for a month of school attendance is normally made during the following month, that is, on a reimbursable basis. If payment is received during a month following a change in enrollment status, verify entitlement to the payment. If the amount has not changed from the previous payment and there has been a reduction in the rate of training, the chances are good that you are not entitled to this payment.

2.  Understand the Consequences of Changes:

a.  If you receive a “nonpunitive” grade of “W” or “I”, reduce, or terminate enrollment; VA will be notified. Upon receipt of the notice, VA will reduce or terminate benefits. The payment of VA education benefits will not be made for any course that is not computed in the graduation requirements of the program.

b.  If there is a change of enrollment after the regular drop/add period, the VEBO will ask for a statement explaining the events surrounding the change. The law states that no payments will be made for a course from which you drop, or receive a “nonpunitive” grade of “W” or “I”, unless there are “mitigating circumstances” surrounding the change. VA defines “mitigating circumstances” as unanticipated and unavoidable events which interfere with a student’s pursuit of a course. If you fail to provide a statement of supporting evidence or the reasons you give are not accepted as “mitigating circumstances,” VA will reduce or terminate benefits from the start of the term. Examples of unacceptable “mitigating circumstances” include, but are not limited to, withdrawal to avoid a failing grade, dislike of instructor, and too many courses attempted. The APSU VEBO can advise you on acceptable “mitigating circumstances.”

c.  You must report changes in dependency to VA, including self, if receiving an additional allowance for family members.

3.  If a VA Education Overpayment is Created:  VA is required to take prompt and aggressive action to recover the overpayment. The VA Debt Management Center will notify you of the overpayment.  The following actions may be taken if an overpayment is not promptly liquidated:

     a. Adding interest and collection fees to the debt

     b. Withholding future benefits to apply to the debt

     c. Referring the debt to a private collection agency

     d. Offsetting the debt from your federal income tax fee adjustment

     e. Offsetting the debt from your salary, if a federal employee

     f. Filing a lawsuit in federal court to collect the debt

    g. Withholding approval of a VA home loan guarantee pending payment of the debt

4.  If you owe VA:  Payments for VA overpayments are not made to APSU.  Contact the VA Debt Management Center at 1-800-827-0648 or dmc.ops@va.gov (7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. CST) for payment options.

5.  If the VA charges APSU for an overpayment of tuition and fees:

  1. The VA Regional Office will notify you of the overpayment;
  2. May result in a billing with the University;
    1. APSU has multiple ways to make a payment.
    2. Contact Student Account Services at 931-221-6285 or SAS@apsu.edu (8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. CST, Mon-Fri) for payment options.

*NOTE: Section 1019 of the Isakson-Roe Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act of 2020 (Public Law 116-315) made schools financially liable for tuition and fees payments directly paid to a school for Chapter 33, TOE, FRY, and Yellow Ribbon.  If the school has to repay tuition and fees to the VA, then you may owe the school money and have a balance on your account.

Eligibility for Deferment of Payment of Tuition and Fees by Certain Eligible Students Receiving U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs or Other Governmentally Funded Educational Assistance Benefits

Service members, veterans, and dependents of veterans who are eligible beneficiaries of U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs education benefits or other governmentally funded educational assistance, subject to the conditions and guidelines set forth in Tennessee Code Annotated 49-7-104 as amended, may elect, upon formal application, to defer payment of required tuition and fees until the final day of term for which the  deferment has been requested. Application for the deferment must be made no later than 14 days after the beginning of the term, and the amount of the deferment shall not exceed the total monetary benefits to be received for the term. Students who have been granted deferments are expected to make timely payments on their outstanding tuition and fees balance once education benefits are being delivered, and eligibility for such deferment shall terminate if the student fails to abide by any applicable rule or regulation, or to act in good faith in making timely payments. This notice is published pursuant to Public Chapter 279, Acts of 2003, effective July 1, 2003.

*NOTE: Students who have a VA education benefits overpayment are not eligible for a deferment.

Admission to the University is Required for Receiving VA Education Benefits and VR & E

A student must be fully admitted and seeking a degree at APSU in order to qualify for VA education benefits. Non-degree seeking students do not qualify for VA education benefits. The admission application is made through APSU’s Graduate Admissions Office, located in the McReynolds Building, or online at http://www.apsu.edu/grad-studies/apply-admission.php. Fort Campbell applicants may apply through the Office of Enrollment Services at the APSU Center @ Fort Campbell.  Visiting students must be in good standing and have a parent institution approval letter.  Active duty servicemembers, Guardsmen and Army reservists will apply for admission through their branch’s portal.

Applying for VA Education Benefits/Initial Tuition Requirements

Application for VA education benefits is made through the appropriate APSU VEBO. For veterans, Guardsmen and reservists, a copy of the DD-214 discharge certificate is required with both the application for admission and the application for VA education benefits. Reservists and Guardsmen must submit a copy of the DD Form 2384 (Notice of Basic Eligibility) to the appropriate VEBO.  Application for VA education benefits does not constitute an application for admission to the University. It may take weeks following an initial application for VA benefits before payment can be expected.

For further information, contact the APSU VEBO or visit our website at http://www.apsu.edu/veterans-affairs/ .

Changing VA Education Benefits

If you elect to change your VA education benefit, you must submit the appropriate VA forms and a written letter of intent. This paperwork must be submitted to APSU VEBO prior to the submission of your enrollment certification request.  If you submit your paperwork afterward, then the change of VA education benefit will not take effect until the next term. The only exception is if your previous benefit hs been exhausted.

Tuition Assistance, ROTC and VA Education Benefits

Students utilizing federal Tuition Assistance (TA) will not be able to utilize the Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR, Chapter 1606) VA education benefits for the same courses.  Due to changes by the Department of Defense, the VA will not allow schools to submit enrollment certifications for the same courses in which TA is paying.  In order to process an enrollment certification, the APSU Veterans Affairs must verify that TA is not paying for the same courses. You will need to submit a copy of the TA breakdown from the Department of Defense portal to APSU’s Office of Veterans Education Benefits. The TA breakdown will show which courses have been covered by TA and which courses have not.

The Department of Defense will not authorize TA for any course in which you receive financial assistance in whole or in part from any other service-funded programs (ROTC, education-related incentive or bonus, or advanced civil schooling) which might constitute a duplication of benefits. The Department of Defense also has the authority to suspend eligibility under the Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR, Chapter 1606) in which you receive financial assistance under ROTC.

For TA Top Up under MGIB-AD (Chapter 30) and Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33), you will need to submit a copy of the TA breakdown from the Department of Defense portal to APSU’s VA Office. You will also complete the Certification Request for the term you are requesting TA Top Up. If you have not used TA Top Up or VA benefits at APSU, then you will need to contact our office for additional information.

Critical Areas of Concern for Continuing VA Certification for Benefits

1. Matriculation: The VA considers a student to have matriculated when he or she has been officially admitted to APSU as pursuing an approved degree. This means that all documents necessary to be admitted as a regular, degree-seeking student must be received by the Office of Admissions before matriculation is complete. Students who have not been officially admitted into degree programs are not eligible for VA education benefits. The requirements for full admission must be completed prior to enrollment (see Admission to Graduate Studies). Certification for VA education benefits will not be submitted beyond one term of enrollment for non-matriculation students. The following documents are required for matriculation:

  • Application for admission;
  • All higher education transcripts from other schools (includes Community College of the Air Force) and non-traditional college credits;
  • All applicable test scores (refer to Graduate Admissions Requirements); and
  • All military personnel (active duty, reservists, and veterans) must submit documents for military credit.

2. Proper Degree Pursuit: In order to be certified to receive VA education benefits, a student is required to be degree-seeking and enrolled in an approved degree program of study as listed in this Bulletin. Benefit payments will only be made for those courses required in the approved program of study and which count for graduation credit. The student must enroll in and attend the degree-granting institution in order to receive VA education benefits. If a change of program is desired, the VA must be notified by submitting the appropriate notification forms through the VEBO.

3. Audited, Repeated or Excessive Courses:  VA education benefit payments will not be made for courses which have been previously passed, whether at APSU or accepted as transfer credit. Electives are considered to be courses which are required for graduation as long as they do not exceed the maximum number of credit hours required for graduation. Electives will not be considered for certification purposes until the prior credit evaluation (approved Graduate Program of Study) is on file with the appropriate VEBO. Excessive courses are those courses that a student completes but will not be used in computing hour requirements for graduation. Excessive courses will not be certified for VA payment.

4. Repeated, Failed or Unacceptable Courses:  APSU honors a “forgiveness” policy that allows students to repeat courses they failed or received unacceptable grades for. If the student receives a passing grade in the repeated course, the original grade is “forgiven” (excluded) and becomes a non-punitive grade (no longer counts in the GPA). Once this course has been “forgiven”, the school is required to report this to VA,which may result in an overpayment.  For more details, visit http://www.apsu.edu/veterans-affairs/course-requirements/repeat-course-policy.php.

5. Certification Request Form: The Enrollment Certification Request is to be submitted by active duty service members, veterans, reservists, Guardsmen, and dependents to request that their enrollment be certified to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs for education benefits. This process must be completed every term of enrollment (i.e., Fall, Spring, Summer).  For additional information, please visit the VA website at http://www.apsu.edu/veterans-affairs/online-resources/enrollment-certification-process.php.

6. Military Credit:  Students may be eligible to receive non-traditional credit for military experiences. For more details, please refer to the Transfer Credit Policy with the Office of the Registrar at http://www.apsu.edu/registrar/transfer/transferguide.php.

7. Accelerated, Independent or Hybrid Courses:  Accelerated, independent, and hybrid courses may affect the VA monthly benefit.  VA considers accelerated courses as non-standard terms, and training time will be based on the actual dates of enrollment. VA considers independent and hybrid courses as distance learning which may impact the Post 9/11 GI Bill monthly housing allowance. A course syllabus for any graduate hybrid course may need to be submitted to the APSU Office of Veterans Education Benefits. The syllabus must outline an attendance policy as well as scheduled dates the course meets. VA will only reconsider the determined instructional methodology for graduate courses. 

Prior Credit Evaluation

An enrollment certification submitted for a VA education benefit recipient initially enrolling at APSU, or initiating a program of study different from that previously pursued, must reflect the amount of credit allowed for previous education, training, or experience, including military training and experience. This is called “prior credit,” meaning credit which, when applied to the student’s current program of study, shortens the program accordingly. The process by which this prior credit is determined is as follows:  when a student initially enrolls, all documents required for matriculation must be received by the Graduate Admissions Office. Following receipt, these documents are evaluated by the Office of the Registrar for transfer credit,  that is, the credit from other institutions of higher education, military training, etc., which are accepted by APSU as graduate-level transfer credit. Students receive a copy of this evaluation upon its completion. This completed transfer credit evaluation must be applied to the individual program of study to shorten that program, and the result is “prior credit. ” This prior credit must be reported to VA once the student has earned twelve (12) graduate credit hours or prior to the end of the first term of enrollment, whichever occurs first. Once prior credit is evaluated, an evaluation is not required again, unless the program of study changes. If the program of study changes, then prior credit must be re-evaluated for admission to the new program.

Change of Program

The VEBO must be informed if a student wishes to change his or her program of study, and the proper request form must be submitted to the VA. Upon making a program change, all previous coursework at APSU or other institutions must be applied to the new program as prior credit. Chapter 31 VA VR & E students may not change their degree programs without prior approval from the VA VR & E counselor.

Satisfactory Progress

VEBO must report the student’s unsatisfactory progress and terminate VA education benefits if, at such time, he or she no longer meets APSU’s standards of progress. All grades, no matter when earned, are part of the permanent transcript and are factored into academic progress. Students placed on academic probation must bring their GPA above the probationary level during the following term of enrollment for which probation was awarded or VA education benefits will be terminated. If benefits are terminated for unsatisfactory academic progress (academic suspension), a written request  on VA form 22-8873 must be submitted to VA by the student for benefits to be reinstated.

Attending Another Institution While Receiving VA Education Benefits at Austin Peay

Students who plan to attend another institution (in a transient status) while attending and receiving VA education benefits at APSU MUST see the appropriate VEBO prior to registering/enrolling at the other institution, or VA education benefits for the enrollment at the other institution will be significantly delayed or disallowed. The student must be in good academic standing.

Attendance Policy

In order to prevent or reduce overpayment of VA education benefits, students are reminded that it is their responsibility to keep the APSU VEBO informed of any change in enrollment status. This includes drops, adds, withdrawals and unofficial withdrawals. The VEBO recommends that students review the APSU attendance policy in the University Bulletin, attend class and take the final exam if one is required. When the VEBO is notified by a faculty member that a student’s attendance has been unsatisfactory, the benefits for that class will be terminated from the last recorded date of attendance, as provided by the faculty member. If no last date of attendance is provided, benefits will be terminated effective the first day of the term.

A grade of “FN” (student has never attended class) results in the termination of benefits from the first day of the term; a grade of “FA” results in termination from the last recorded date of attendance. FN and FA are punitive grades and will be reported to VA immediately.

VA will not pay education benefits to an individual for a course from which the individual has withdrawn or received a non-punitive grade (I or W) which is not used in computing the requirements for graduation.


APSU student email account is the official and primary correspondence method.  Once admitted to APSU, a student will be assigned an APSU student email account.  The VEBO will utilize the APSU student email account for VA announcements, reminders and notifications.

Students may use AP One Stop for Students (https://apmy1sp.apsu.edu/login ) to view all their APSU VA information. This web site will inform the VA student of his/her approved certified courses as well as possible missing requirements.

Public Law 115-407 (Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018)

Austin Peay State University adheres to Public Law 115-407 and does not have any active policies inconsistent with section 103 of the law. The university ensures efficient processing of benefits and successful transition for our veterans and family members in the following ways:

  1. Upon submission of a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or VA Form 28-1905, the Office of Veterans Education Benefits processes a student’s certification and authorizes a fee deferment, if requested.

  2. Students receiving VA education benefits or VA Veteran Readiness as well as financial aid are permitted use of a book voucher to purchase necessary books and supplies.
  3. If financial aid processes to a student’s account prior to receipt of VA education benefits or VA Veteran Readiness from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), the university credits the student’s account in the amount of the anticipated VA payment. The university then processes a refund of excess financial aid to the student.
  4. In the event a student is eligible and certified for payment, but VA’s payment is significantly delayed, Student Account Services will remove a balance due hold to allow registration for subsequent semesters.
  5. No penalty is imposed on a student whose disbursement of benefits is delayed.