Bulletin/Catalog Year 2019-2020
College Arts and Letters
Department of Communication Arts
Dr. Robert Baron
Chair, Department of Communication
Location: Music/Mass Communication, Room 166
Dr. Christina Hicks-Goldston
Graduate Coordinator, Department of Communication
Location: Music/Mass Communication, Room 171
The Austin Peay State University Department of Communication offers four degree programs for its Master of Arts in Communication Arts.
Through the Department of Communication’s M.A. programs, students gain the ability to apply communication theories and concepts to real world communication challenges. Students work to complete the program at their desired pace, with classes in convenient 8-week terms. The program offers a diverse array of electives to give students a great deal of flexibility in designing their own program of study.
The M.A. in Communication Arts provides students an opportunity to develop the skills they will need to pursue careers such as public relations, marketing, advertising, media management, human resources, strategic planning, media production, and non-profit work. Students also have the option to complete a master’s thesis to help prepare for eventual doctoral studies.
The Communication Arts MA programs are entirely online and admit for all terms through APSU’s Clarksville Campus. The curriculum is designed with the needs of a wide variety of students in mind. The program allows currently employed professionals to fit classes to their busy schedules, as well as offering traditional students the opportunity to complete the degree in a more traditional two-year time frame.
Listed below are the required application materials and the associated scores (if necessary) for each.
- Application for admission
- Application Fee: $45 domestic or $55 international
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended
- Verification of lawful presence in the United States (i.e. submit a license or other approved document)
- Bachelor’s degree, conferred in any field, from a regionally accredited institution showing a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 2.5
- Minimum GRE revised General Test verbal score of 140 (verbal and quantitative)*
- Military documents (if applicable)
- Admission decision by department
* Students with an undergraduate GPA of 3.5 or greater or with a master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution may submit an Entrance Exam Waiver Form, for approval by the department, to waive the GRE requirement.
For more information about the application process, please visit apsu.edu/grad-studies.