May 19, 2024  
2012-2013 Graduate Bulletin 
2012-2013 Graduate Bulletin [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Graduate Fees and Expenses

Registration Fees for 2012 - 2013 Fiscal Year

Note: Tuition & course fees listed are for academic year 2011-2012. THE TENNESSEE BOARD OF REGENTS WILL ANNOUNCE ACADEMIC YEAR 2012-2013 PRICES IN JULY. You may want to plan for an increase of 3% to 9%.

The Tennessee Board of Regents (TBR) recently voted to change the policy related to charging tuition to students who are taking courses at TBR schools. Students will be charged tuition based on his/her classification and number of credit hours for which they are enrolled; the maximum charge for students taking 12 or more credit hours has been removed. Students attending either main campus or Fort Campbell Center will be charged for each credit hour taken. Students attending classes both on main campus and Fort Campbell Center will be charged for each credit hour for which they are enrolled at each campus. There is no change for students taking RODP courses; they are now being charged for each credit hour for which they are enrolled.

All fees are subject to change per Tennessee Board of Regents policy.

Graduate Fees 

Per Semester        
Hours In State* Out of State Regents Online  
      Important See Note  



* In-State (includes residents of Todd, Trigg, Logan, or Christian counties in Kentucky). For enrollment reporting purposes, students residing in the Kentucky counties of Allen, Calloway and Simpson will be coded as out-of-state students but will not be charged the out-of-state tuition.

Note: Fees for Regents courses have no cap (do not max out at 12 hours).  Graduate students are charged $364 tuition and $90 online course fee for each credit hour taken. The online course fee may not be waived. Fees for Regents courses are charged separately from other registrations.

Board and Room


  Board in Cafeteria per semester, estimated
Family Housing
Residence Hall Room (average; double-occupancy per semester)
Student Apartment (per semester)

Returnable Deposits



Housing Prepayment/Housing Deposit


          Student Housing Prepayment (applied to initial dorm charge)


          Family Housing Deposit (refundable)


Special Fees & Charges


  Application Fee (non-refundable)  
  Graduate $25
  Returned Check Service Charge $30
  Books (estimated per semester) $750
  Graduation Fee (includes commencement regalia)  
    Masters Degree $35
  ID Card (required of all main campus students) no charge
  ID Card Replacement $20
  Late Registration Fee (non-refundable) $50
  New Student Fee (non-refundable) $75
  P.O. Box Rental (required for housing residents) $9
  Online Course Fee  
  Graduate, per credit hour $90

Fee Discounts

Employees of Austin Peay State University

APSU employees (full-time), TBR, and UT employees may enroll for three courses per term on a space available basis at no cost other than special course fees. One course must be submitted on the Form PC 191 (  and two on the TBR Reimbursement form ( showing approval of the immediate supervisor. These forms must be submitted to Human Resources for approval and forwarded to the Office of the Bursar before the last day of late registration.  These scholarships are subject to availability of funds.

Children of Vietnam Conflict Veterans

Children of deceased or missing in action Vietnam Conflict veterans who were residents of Tennessee may be eligible for a waiver of tuition and maintenance fees. (Contact the Veterans Affairs Office in Nashville, TN at 1-800-827-1000 for more information and verification procedures.)

Employees of the State Of Tennessee

Full-time employees of the State of Tennessee may enroll in one undergraduate or graduate course at no cost other than special course fees. An approval form available at the following link:, must be submitted each term to the Office of the Bursar before the last day of late registration. These scholarships are subject to availability of funds.

Registration for Students 60 and 65 Years of Age and Over, and Students with Disabilities

  1. Adults 65 years of age or older during the semester, domiciled in Tennessee, may register in courses for credit on a space available basis and pay maximum tuition of $70 and all applicable fees or a Tennessee resident who is 60 years of age or older may audit a course if space is available at no cost (according to Tennessee law) by filing a birth certificate with the Office of the Registrar.
  2. A Tennessee resident who is permanently and totally disabled may register in courses for credit on a space available basis and pay maximum tuition of $70 and all applicable fees or may audit a course if space is available at no cost (according to Tennessee law) by filing an Application for Tuition Reduction Due to Disability and submit proof you are considered 100% disabled through Social Security or other appropriate state or federal agency. To request tuition reduction for disability, you must submit this documentation for each term of enrollment. Request must be submitted prior to the last day of late registration to the Office of the Registrar.

Payments and Fee Adjustments

  1. The University operates on the semester plan and students are expected to pay all expenses when registering at the beginning of each semester. Students can choose to enroll in an installment plan during the fall and/or spring main campus terms.  The University accepts cash, checks, VISA, MasterCard, American Express and Discover. Payment by electronic check or credit card are accepted online.
  2. Out-of-state, full-time students will be charged each semester for tuition in addition to the graduate maintenance fee. This charge does not apply to students living in Kentucky counties of Allen, Calloway, Christian, Logan, Simpson, Todd and Trigg, which are within the legal service area of APSU (30 mile radius of Clarksville).

Fee Adjustments

Fee adjustments of tuition and fees are prorated according to the time the student was enrolled in the University. The dates that percentages apply are published in the Academic Calendar (

  1. 100 percent fee adjustment is issued for the following situations:
    1. Courses canceled by the University
    2. Withdrawals between pre-registration period and prior to the first day of classes.
    3. Mandatory withdrawal because the student is declared academically ineligible to enroll or student not eligible to enroll in course being dropped; requires documentation from Dean of Enrollment Management and Academic Support Services.
  2. The fee adjustment for withdrawals or drops during regular terms (fall and spring) is 75% from the first day of classes through the 14th day of classes and then reduced to 25% for a period of time which extends 25% of the term. No fee adjustment after 25% of term has expired.
  3. For summer sessions and other short terms, the 75% fee adjustment period and the 25% fee adjustment period will extend a length of time which is the same proportion of the term as the 75% and 25% periods are of the regular terms.
  4. No fee adjustment when the number of credit hours for courses dropped and courses added on the same day is equal. This is considered a swap.
  5. When courses are included in a regular term’s registration process, but the course does not begin until later in the term, the 75%/25% fee adjustment periods will be based on the particular course’s beginning and ending dates. This does not apply to classes which meet only once per week during regular terms. Those courses will follow the same refund dates as the other courses for the term.
  6. The fee adjustment is calculated as the difference between (1) the cost of originally enrolled hours and (2) the per credit hour cost of the courses at final enrollment after adjustments have been applied for the courses dropped. Adjustments are calculated at the full per credit hour rate less the fee adjustment credit at the applicable fee adjustment percentage with total costs not to exceed full-time tuition. Not all drops/withdrawals will result in a fee adjustment.
  7. Title IV financial aid fee adjustments for students withdrawing during their first term will be calculated on a pro-rata basis and applied to outstanding balances in accordance with the U.S. Department of Education Higher Education Act of 1965 as amended.
  8. Percentage rules apply to out-of-state tuition and refundable fees.

Fee Adjustment Appeals

The University fee adjustment policy is based entirely upon the official date of the withdrawal or change of course which would result in a fee adjustment. Fee adjustments beyond the specified dates or percentages indicated in the “Academic Calendar,” will be made only for reasons published by the University, and only when convincing documentation supports the appeal. If the appeal is granted, the fee adjustment will not exceed 75 percent.

Any individual may appeal the assessment, application, calculation, collection, or interpretation of any University fee, charge, deposit, or refund. Information regarding acceptable reasons for which an appeal may be granted, procedures, and the forms to be completed for these appeals can be found online at

Appeals for fee adjustments are to be submitted online to the Office of Enrollment Management and Academic Support Services. Supporting documentation in reference to your claim must be submitted within 5 business days to the Office of Enrollment Management and Academic Support. Your explanation should demonstrate why an exception to the published policy is justified. Requests that simply disagree with the policy will not be considered.

The Enrollment Management and Academic Support Office will determine if proper University procedures have been followed; all documentation is reviewed by the Associate Provost. A written decision will be sent to the student’s official APSU e-mail account within 2-3 weeks of submission.

Decisions of the Enrollment Management and Academic Support Office may be appealed in writing to the Fee Adjustment Appeals Committee which meets twice each Fall and Spring semester. The committee chairperson will provide a decision in writing via e-mail to the appellant’s official APSU e-mail account.

Appeals of adverse decisions made by this committee must be in writing to the Assistant Vice President for Finance. A written decision of matters appealed to that office will be sent to the student’s official APSU e-mail account.

Financial Aid and Scholarships

Many students need financial assistance to meet part or all of their college-related expenses. At APSU, students of academic promise with a strong desire to secure a college education are encouraged to apply for financial assistance. Students applying for financial assistance must be enrolled in a degree-seeking program, not be considered a special or transient student and enroll at least half time.

How to Apply for Financial Aid

A student should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, a U.S. Department of Education form, after January 1 for the next academic year. No check or money order is required. Applications may be completed at

Students should file an application for admission to the University at the same time they complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. A student should not wait to be accepted for admission to apply for federal financial aid. For further information contact: Office of Student Financial Aid and Veterans Affairs Office, Box 4546, Austin Peay State University, Clarksville, Tennessee 37044, telephone (931) 221-7907, toll-free 1-877-508-0057.

Federal Student Aid

Federal Perkins Student Loan

This program provides long-term, low-interest loans to students who need financial assistance. Awards for graduate students range up to $6,000 annually, not to exceed $40,000 (includes any Federal Perkins Student Loan as an undergraduate or graduate student).

General provisions of the Federal Perkins Student Loan includes the following: repayment begins ten months after the student leaves the University and continues monthly there after until the entire loan is repaid; interest begins accruing at a rate of five percent nine months after the borrower ceases to be enrolled on at least a half-time basis; and minimum payments are $40 per month, including interest on the unpaid balance. Loan repayments may be deferred for periods during which a borrower: (1) is at least a half-time student (2) is pursing a course of study in an approved graduate fellowship program or approved rehabilitation training program for disabled individual excluding a medical internship or residency program (3) is unable to find full-time employment, but not in excess of three years (4) may be suffering an economic hardship, but not in excess of three years or (5) is engaged in service described under the cancellation provisions.

Federal Subsidized Stafford Student Loan

These loans are made by banks and are guaranteed by the Federal Government. No payments are due on the loan while the student is enrolled on at least at half-time basis and the government will pay the interest while the student is enrolled on at least half-time basis. The maximum loan for graduate students is $8,500 annually, not to exceed $65,000 (includes any funds borrowed as an undergraduate or graduate). Students must be enrolled at least half-time to receive this loan.

The agency responsible for this program in Tennessee is the Tennessee Student Assistance Corporation (TSAC). Loan repayments may be deferred for periods during which a borrower: (1) is at least a half-time student (2) is pursuing a course of study in an approved graduate fellowship program or approved rehabilitation training program for disabled individuals excluding a medical internship or residency program (3) is unable to find full-time employment, but not in excess of three years (4) may be suffering an economic hardship, but not in excess of three years or (5) is engaged in service described under the cancellation provisions.

Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan

These loans have the same application procedure, interest rates and repayment process as the Federal Subsidized Stafford Loan; however, the student is responsible for paying the interest. The student may pay the interest while enrolled or choose to let the interest accrue and capitalize. The maximum is $10,000 annually not to exceed $73,000 in federal unsubsidized loan funds (includes funds borrowed as an undergraduate or graduate). Students must be enrolled at least half-time to receive this loan. Repayment of principal begins after the student ceases to be enrolled at least half-time. Loan amounts are restricted by the cost of education, resources available, state and federal regulations.

Disbursement of Funds

It is the policy of the University to disburse one-half of an academic-year award within three days of the beginning of the semester/term. The exception to this policy is for students who are enrolled at Fort Campbell and who will have their awards disbursed in fourths to coincide with the four sessions of the academic year at the center. Summer assistance is managed in a different manner. For additional information on availability and disbursement of summer funds, contact the Student Financial Aid Office.

If an offer of financial assistance includes employment under the provisions of the FWS, it must be understood that the amount of money awarded is the amount of money a student may expect to earn during the award period as a result of work performed and hours necessary to perform such work. FWS recipients must contact the Student Financial Aid Office to complete job assignment. This must be done each academic year.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Required to Receive and Renew Aid

All students receiving Title IV aid are required to maintain class attendance and satisfactory progress each semester as outlined:

  1. Guidelines
    Graduate students must maintain a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA and attempt less than 72 graduate credits to maintain satisfactory academic progress for financial aid purposes. Students that do not maintain satisfactory academic progress may appeal for reinstatement.
  2. Appeals
    Appeals should be made to the Student Financial Aid Office on the appropriate forms. The following circumstances may be considered appropriate reasons for appeal:
    1. Serious illness or accident on the part of the student.
    2. Death or serious illness in the immediate family.
    3. Discontinuance of a course by the University.
    4. Personal complications.

Policy of Class Attendance and Unofficial Withdrawals

Students receiving Federal Title IV Financial Aid must attend class on a regular basis. If students cease to attend class, they should officially withdraw from the University. Students who unofficially or officially withdraw may be held responsible for all or partial repayment of funds. This includes FA, FN grades and/or other changes in enrollment status.

Policy on Allocation of Fee Adjustments and Repayment to Title IV Federal (Pell Grant, FSEOG, Federal Perkins, Federal Stafford Student Loans)

Students who change enrollment status within the first 14 days of classes may be required to repay all or part of any federal funds disbursed.

Students who withdraw from school during a payment period or period of enrollment in which they began attendance must return any unearned funds to the Student Financial Aid Programs (SFA). The school must calculate the amount of SFA Program assistance the student did not earn and those funds must be returned. Up through the 60% point in each payment period or period of enrollment, a pro rate schedule is used to determine how much SFA Program funds that student has earned at the time of withdrawal. The amount of fee adjustable (or balance outstanding) of institutional charges will be set by the University policy. If there is a student account balance resulting from these adjustments, the student is responsible for payment.

  1. Distribution Among the Title IV Programs
    The University will allocate the Title IV portion of the fee adjustment to the various Title IV program(s) from which the student received aid. The allocation will take place in the following order:
    1. Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) programs (the Part B loans) (Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford Loans, PLUS-Parent Loan)
    2. Federal Perkins Loan
  2. Distribution of Repayments of Cash
    Disbursements Made Directly to the Student
    1. If a student officially or unofficially withdraws from or is dis missed by the University on or after the first day of classes of a semester, and the student received a cash disbursement for non-instructional costs under any Title IV program (except Federal Work-Study Program) for that semester, the University will determine whether a portion of that cash disbursement will have to be repaid.
    2. In determining whether a student will have to repay a cash disbursement, the University will subtract from the cash disbursement received by the student the educational costs incurred by him/her for non-instructional charges for that term up to the date of withdrawal or expulsion.
      1. If the expected repayment will total less than $100, no repayment will be required.
    3. The University will apply these policies in a consistent manner to all students receiving Title IV aid.
      1. The University will not allocate any part of the fee adjustment to a Title IV program if the student did not receive aid under the program.
      2. The amount allocated to a program may not exceed the amount the student received from that program.

Part-Time Employment

General Campus Work

Each year, a number of students are employed on campus in administrative and departmental offices. The number of hours students are permitted to work depends on the need of the various departments and is limited to a maximum of 20 hour per week. Job opportunities are posted on the human resources website and may be advertised in the campus newspaper. Questions may be referred to the Office of Human Resources by calling (931) 221-7177. Graduate Assistants must receive approval from the Dean of Graduate Studies before general campus assignments begin. Refer to page 42 for more information.

Federal Work-Study Program (FWS)

The Federal Work-Study Program is federally funded and designed to assist students who are in need of employment in order to pursue their education. A FAFSA is required and need is calculated according to federal guidelines and cost attendance. The student’s work is performed on campus and is similar to that performed by students working on the General Campus Work Program. The student may work up to a maximum of 20 hours per week depending upon the amount of the work-study award. Students who qualify for the FWS and are currently enrolled or tentatively accepted for enrollment to the University may be eligible for employment.

Off-Campus Work

Many APSU students earn a considerable part of their college expense with part-time, off-campus work in the Clarksville-Fort Campbell area. The Career Services Office offers JOB-OP, a part-time off-campus job referral service to assist both students and area employers in filling employment needs.

 Fellowship, Graduate Assistantship, Scholarship 

Diversity Graduate Fellowship Award

The College of Graduate Studies offers one-year non-renewable diversity graduate fellowships to qualified Tennessee residents. Applicants must be fully admitted to the University and a member of one or more of the underrepresented groups defined in APSU’s definition of diversity. Applicant must be enrolled as a full-time student in a graduate program at APSU during the period of an award. The applicant must be in good academic standing with a grade point average of a “B” (3.0). Recipients are encouraged to apply for a graduate assistantship for subsequent years. Criteria for qualification and application are available in the College of Graduate Studies or online at For more information, contact the College of Graduate Studies, (931) 221-7414.

Graduate Assistantships

Graduate assistantships are available for superior students in each of the academic departments that offer graduate programs and several other areas on campus. Applicants must be fully admitted  into the College of Graduate Studies and degree seeking to qualify for an assistantship. Students will be selected on the basis of their undergraduate GPA, departmental entrance exams [e.g., Graduate Record Examination scores (GRE), Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT)], three letters of recommendation and/or Personal Potential Index (PPI) results.  A complete assistantship job description will be formulated by each supervisor.  Scholarships are issued before the beginning of each academic term.  Stipends are paid semi-monthly. In their assigned locations, graduate assistants (GAs), teaching assistants (TAs), and research assistants (GRAs) are required to work as follows in fall and spring semesters: TAs must have 6 contact hours per week in classroom instruction; GRAs must have 8 contact hours per week in laboratory supervision; and GAs must complete an average of 20 hours per week (total required hours are specified in the academic contract) in supervised activities in the department of their employment.   Another option is a combination of these listed assignments.  Moreover, summer TAs are required to teach 2 courses.  GAs, TAs, and GRAs are not permitted to have additional university employment without permission from the Dean of the College of Graduate Studies. To retain the assistantship for the fall and spring semesters, departmental approval is required and students must be enrolled full-time during their assigned terms and maintain satisfactory academic progress for possible retention. Students awarded fall and spring semester assistantships are not required to take summer classes. Summer appointments for TAs and GAs are required to attend full-time during the summer session(s).  Summer TAs and GAs must adhered to the same requirements as outlined for fall and spring.  

All GAs, TAs, and GRAs are required to a complete the university’s electronic Graduate Assistant Clearance procedure at the end of the assistantship assignment.   If it becomes necessary to resign from the assistantship before the academic contract ends, the student is required to submit such notice in writing, to include the total number of hours worked, to the Dean of Graduate Studies before the last day of employment. In conjunction with the resignation letter, it is imperative for the student to submit a completed Graduate Assistant Clearance Form to the Graduate Dean for  approval. The form is available on the graduate web site at and listed under the Graduate Assistantship link.

A student is eligible to hold an assistantship for only four semesters and must reapply each academic year. Applications for all graduate assistantships must be submitted to the College of Graduate Studies by the published deadline for the following academic year. Award notifications for fall will be made by August 1 each year. GAs, TAs, or GRAs appointments do not include, nor combined with, internships or student teaching assignments.

ROTC Scholarships

Graduate ROTC Scholarships are available for students working on graduate degrees. The scholarship pays full tuition and fees, plus a $1,200 book allowance per year for a two-year period. Additionally, graduate students enrolled in the ROTC two-year program receive a monthly living allowance while in school at $450 their junior year, and $500 their senior year. To participate, a student must be a U.S. citizen, be under 31 in the year they will graduate, and must be willing to continue service as an Army officer. For more information email or 931-221-6156.

Other Forms of Financial Assistance

Vocational Rehabilitation

Students with a physical disability may obtain grants-in-aid, providing assistance with college-related costs through the Tennessee Vocational Rehabilitation Service. Tennessee residents should request information from the high school guidance counselor or write to Coordinator, Division of Vocational Rehabilitation, 1808 West End Building, Nashville, Tennessee 37203. Students residing in other states should contact the similar agency in their state. This program is different from GI Bill Chapter 31-Vocational Rehabilitation.

Veterans Affairs Benefits

All degree programs offered by Austin Peay State University, as listed in this BULLETIN, are approved for veterans’ training. The Office of Veterans Affairs (OVA) must certify each VA recipient’s training to the US Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) before any payments can be made. APSU has two OVA’s: Ellington Student Services Building, Room 216 for Main Campus; and SSG Glenn H English, Jr. Army Education Center, Bldg. 202, Room 137 for Austin Peay State University Center at Fort Campbell. The OVA maintains all necessary forms for active duty service persons, reservists, and veterans. To apply for DVA educational benefits, and any questions relating to DVA educational training at APSU should be directed to the OVA. However, the OVA does not make decisions on eligibility for DVA educational benefits or on the amount and length of entitlement a student is eligible under those benefits. To receive a formal decision, the student must file a claim with the DVA, who makes final determination on eligibility and payment amount. All claims should be filed through the appropriate APSU OVA, so that copies are maintained in the student’s APSU file. The programs under which the student may be eligible for DVA educational benefits are listed below. To determine specific eligibility requirements, direct questions to the OVA or to the DVA at 1-888GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).

  1. Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty Educational Assistance Program (MGIB-AD) - Chapter 30
  2. Vocational Rehabilitation Services - Chapter 31
  3. Post-Vietnam Era Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program (VEAP) - Chapter 32
  4. Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (DEA) - Chapter 35
  5. Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve Educational Assistance Program (MGIB-SR) - Chapter 1606
  6. Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve Educational Assistance for Supporting Contingency Operations and certain Other Operations – Chapter 1607
  7. Restored Entitlement Program for Survivors (REPS) - Section
  8. Educational Assistance Test Program - Section 901
  9. Educational Assistance Pilot Program (non-contributory VEAP) Section 903

Avoiding DVA Education Overpayment

As a DVA educational benefits recipient, you should understand what you can do to prevent an overpayment:

  1. Report Changes in Enrollment: Promptly report any changes in enrollment to APSU OVA and the DVA. If APSU is notified and not DVA, it may take longer to correct payments. Please take note: DVA payment for a month of school attendance is normally made during the following month; that is, on a reimbursable basis. If payment is received during a month following a change in enrollment status, verify entitlement to the payment. If the amount has not changed from the previous payment and there has been a reduction in the rate of training, contact APSU OVA or DVA for a status review.
  2. Understand the Consequences of Changes:
    1. If you receive a “nonpunitive” grade of “W” or “I”, reduce, or terminate enrollment; DVA will be notified. Upon receipt of the notice, DVA will reduce or terminate benefits. The payment of DVA educational benefits will not be made for any course that is not computed in the graduation requirements of the program.
    2. If there is a change of enrollment after the regular drop/add period, the OVA will ask for a statement explaining the events surrounding the change. The law states that no payments will be made for a course from which you withdraw, or receive a “nonpunitive” grade of “W” or “I”, unless there are “mitigating circumstances” surrounding the change. DVA defines “mitigating circumstances” as unanticipated and unavoidable events which interfere with a student’s pursuit of a course. If you fail to provide a statement of supporting evidence or the reasons you give are not accepted as “mitigating circumstances,” DVA will reduce or terminate benefits from the start of the term. Examples of unacceptable “mitigating circumstances” include, but are not limited to withdrawal to avoid a failing grade, dislike of instructor and too many courses attempted. The APSU OVA can advise you on acceptable “mitigating circumstances.”
    3. You must report changes in dependency, including self, if receiving an additional allowance for family members.
  3. If a DVA Educational Overpayment is Created: DVA is required to take prompt and aggressive action to recover the overpayment. The following actions may be taken if an overpayment is not promptly liquidated:
    1. Adding interest and collection fees to the debt.
    2. Withholding future benefits to apply to the debt.
    3. Referring the debt to a private collection agency.
    4. Offsetting the debt from your federal income tax fee adjustment.
    5. Offsetting the debt from your salary, if a federal employee.
    6. Filing a lawsuit in federal court to collect the debt.
    7. Withholding approval of a DVA home loan guarantee pending payment of the debt.

Eligibility for Deferment of Payment of Tuition and Fees by Certain Eligible Students Receiving U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs or Other Governmentally Funded Educational Assistance Benefits

Service members, veterans, and dependants of veterans who are eligible beneficiaries of U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs education benefits or other governmentally funded educational assistance, subject to the conditions and guidelines set forth in Tennessee Code Annotated 49-7-104 as amended, may elect, upon formal application, to defer payment of required tuition and fees until the final day of term for which the  deferment has been requested. Application for the deferment must be made no later than 14 days after the beginning of the term, and the amount of the deferment shall not exceed the total monetary benefits to be received for the term. Students who have been granted deferments are expected to make timely payments on their outstanding tuition and fees balance once education benefits are being delivered, and eligibility for such deferment shall terminate if the student fails to abide by any applicable rule or regulation, or to act in good faith in making timely payments. This notice is published pursuant to Public Chapter 279, Acts of 2003, effective July 1, 2003.

NOTE: Students who have a DVA educational benefits overpayment are not eligible for a deferment.

Admission to the University is Required for Receiving DVA Educational Benefits

Students must be fully admitted and seeking a degree at APSU in order to qualify for DVA educational benefits. Non-degree seeking students do not qualify for DVA educational benefits. Admission application is made through the APSU’s Office of Admissions in the Ellington Student Services Building. Fort Campbell applicants may apply through the Office of Enrollment Services at the APSU Center @ Fort Campbell.

Applying for DVA Educational Benefits/Initial Tuition Requirements

Application for DVA educational benefits is made through the appropriate APSU OVA. For veterans and reservists, a copy of the DD-214 discharge certificate is required with both the application for admission and the application for DVA educational benefits. Reservists must submit a copy of the DD Form 2384 (Notice of Basic Eligibility) to the appropriate OVA. For those students who have remaining eligibility under the Vietnam ERA GI Bill (Chapter 34); copies of marriage license, birth certificates for all children who are claimed as dependents and any applicable divorce decrees are required for submission in order to claim those family members for DVA educational benefit payment. Application for DVA educational benefits does not constitute an application for admission to the University. Students must be prepared to pay tuition and fees at the time of registration. It normally takes at least 12 weeks following an initial application for DVA educational benefits before the first payment can be expected.

Critical Areas of Concern for Continuing DVA Certification for Benefits

  1. Matriculation: DVA considers a student to have matriculated when he/she has been officially admitted to APSU as pursuing an approved degree. This means that all documents necessary to be admitted as a regular, degree-seeking student must be received by the Office of Admissions before matriculation is complete. Students who have not been officially admitted into a degree program are not eligible for DVA educational benefits. IT IS APSU POLICY THAT STUDENTS MUST MATRICULATE BY THE END OF THE FIRST TERM OF ENROLLMENT. The requirements for full admission must be completed prior to enrollment for the second term of enrollment (see Admission to Graduate Studies). Certification for DVA educational benefits will not be submitted beyond one term of enrollment for non-matriculation students. The following documents are required for matriculation:
  2. Application for admission;
  3. All higher education transcripts from other schools (includes Community College of the Air Force) and non-traditional college credits;
  4. All applicable test scores (refer to Graduate Admissions Requirements) and
  5. All military personnel (active duty, reservists, and veterans) must submit documents for military credit.
  6. Proper Degree Pursuit: In order to be certified to receive DVA educational benefits, students are required to be degree-seeking and enrolled in an approved degree program of study as listed in this Bulletin. Benefit payments will only be made for those courses required in the approved program of study which count for graduation credit. Students must enroll in and attend the degree-granting institution in order to receive DVA educational benefits. If a change of program is desired, the DVA must be notified by submitting the appropriate notification forms through the OVA.
  7. Audited, Repeated or Excessive Courses: DVA educational benefit payment will not be made for courses which have been previously passed, whether at APSU or accepted as transfer credit. Electives are considered to be courses which are required for graduation as long as they do not exceed the maximum number of credit hours required for graduation. Electives will not be considered for certification purposes until the prior credit evaluation is on file with the appropriate OVA. Excessive courses are those courses that a student completes, but the courses will not be used in computing hour requirements for graduation. Excessive courses will not be certified for DVA payment. Certification Request Form: This form is required from each student receiving DVA educational benefits for each term of enrollment, and is available at the appropriate OVA or on the web at The form must be signed by the student to request certification for the term of enrollment.

Prior Credit Evaluation

An enrollment certification submitted for a DVA educational benefit recipient initially enrolling at APSU, or initiating a program of study different from that previously pursued, must reflect the amount of credit allowed for previous education, training or experience, including military training and experience. This is called “prior credit,” and is that credit which, when applied to the student’s current program of study, shortens the program accordingly. The process by which this prior credit is determined is as follows: when a student initially enrolls, all documents required for matriculation must be received by the Admissions Office within ONE term of enrollment. Following receipt, these documents are evaluated by the Office of the Registrar for transfer credit; that is, the credit from other institutions of higher education, military, etc., which are accepted by APSU as graduate level transfer credit. Students receive a copy of this evaluation after or upon its completion. This completed transfer credit evaluation must be applied to the individual program of study to shorten that program, and the result is PC. This prior credit must be reported to DVA, once the student has earned 12 graduate credit hours or prior to the end of the second term of enrollment, whichever occurs first. Once prior credit is evaluated it is not required again, unless the program of study changes; then prior credit must be re-evaluated in application to the new program.

Change of Program

The OVA must be informed if a student wishes to change his/her program of study, and the proper request form submitted to the DVA. Upon making a program change, all previous course work at APSU or other institutions must be applied to the new program as prior credit. Chapter 31 VA Vocational Rehabilitation students may not change their degree programs without prior approval from the VA Vocational Rehabilitation counselor.

Satisfactory Progress

OVA must report the student’s unsatisfactory progress and terminate DVA educational benefits, at such time he or she no longer meets APSU’s standards of progress. All grades, no matter when earned, are part of the permanent transcript and are factored into academic progress. Students placed on academic probation must bring their GPA above the probationary level during the term of enrollment for which probation was awarded or DVA educational benefits will be terminated. If benefits are terminated for unsatisfactory academic progress, a written request must be submitted by the student for benefits to be reinstated.

Dual Enrollment Between Main Campus and Fort Campbell

Enrolling at both main campus and Fort Campbell creates a special reporting requirement, because the DVA classifies main campus and Fort Campbell as two separate educational institutions. Pursuit of a main campus degree makes the main campus the primary degree-granting institution, and vice versa. Students must be admitted to and pursing a degree at their primary institution. Students are allowed to temporarily enroll at the secondary institution in classes that apply to the primary degree program. Enrolling at the secondary institution makes a student either transient or concurrently enrolled. Transient means a student is temporarily attending only the secondary institution, and concurrently enrolled means that the student is attending both primary and secondary institutions simultaneously. The OVA’s at both campuses have the Transient Enrollment Form, whereby courses at the secondary institution must be validated by the primary institution before they can be certified to DVA for payment. Students who are receiving DVA educational benefits should consult their primary institution’s OVA before enrolling as a transient or concurrently enrolled student.

Attending Another Institution While Receiving DVA Educational Benefits at Austin Peay

Students who plan to attend another institution (in a transient status) while attending and receiving DVA payment at APSU MUST see the appropriate OVA prior to registering/enrolling at the other institution, or DVA educational benefits for the enrollment at the other institution will be significantly delayed or disallowed.

Attendance Policy

In order to prevent or reduce overpayment of DVA educational benefits, students are reminded that it is the student’s responsibility to keep the APSU OVA informed of enrollment status. This includes drops, adds, withdrawals and unofficial withdrawals. The OVA recommends that students review the APSU attendance policy in the University BULLETIN, attend class and take the final exam if one is required. When the OVA is notified by a faculty member that a student’s attendance has been unsatisfactory, the benefits for that class will be terminated from the last recorded date of attendance, as provided by the faculty member. If no last date of attendance is provided, benefits will be terminated effective the first day of the term.

A grade of “FN” (student has never attended class) results in the termination of benefits from the first day of the term; a grade of “FA” results in termination from the last recorded date of attendance.

Students may use AP One Stop for Students ( to view all their APSU VA information; this web site will inform the VA student of his/her approved certified courses.