Dr. Tasha Ruffin
Admission Requirements for BSN Pre-Licensure
(See www.apsu.edu/nursing for latest admission criteria)
Admissions to Austin Peay does not guarantee acceptance to the nursing program. The nursing program is very competitive and only a limited number of students are admitted each semester.
Fall Start: Applications for the Fall Semester are available from March 1st to May 1st of each year. Applications must be submitted to the School of Nursing by 12:00 p.m. on May 1st for consideration for the Fall Semester.
Spring Start: Applications for the Spring Semester are available from July 15th to September 15th of each year. Applications must be submitted to the School of Nursing by 12:00 p.m. on September 15th for consideration for the Spring Semester.
Please check the School of Nursing website for the most current application criteria: www.apsu.edu /nursing
In order to apply Pre-licensure student must:
- Be admitted to Austin Peay State University by the School of Nursing application deadline.
- Complete and submit the School of Nursing application by the application deadline. Only completed applications will be considered for admission.
- Have completed at least 30 hours general education core and nursing pre-requisite courses, maintaining a calculated GPA above 3.0.
- Have a documented plan for completion of remaining 18 hours of general education core and nursing prerequisite classes before the start of nursing courses.
- Have completed the prerequisite Biology courses within seven (7) years of the time of application.
Further admission requirements (for ranking of Pre-licensure applicant pool):
- CALCULATED GPA: A minimum calculated Nursing Focus GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Grades for general education core and nursing prerequisite courses will be used to calculate the GPA for nursing admission.
- If a student attempts a course more than once within the past seven years, the grades from every attempt will be used to calculate the admission GPA.
- All general education core and nursing prerequisites must be completed prior to starting nursing courses. If a conditionally accepted student fails to successfully complete all nursing core and prerequisite courses with a “C” or better the student will not be permitted to begin nursing courses.
- Consideration is given to students who have a calculated GPA greater than 3.0 and/or who have completed all core and pre-requisite courses at Austin Peay.
- Students previously enrolled in a nursing program must submit a letter of good standing from the dean/director of the previous nursing program along with a transcript.
- STANDARDIZED EXAMINATION: All pre-licensure applicants are required to complete the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) nursing entrance examination by the School of Nursing application deadline.
- The required examination may only be taken once per application period.
- The fee-based examination must be taken on campus at APSU unless there are extenuating circumstances recognized by the School of Nursing Admission and Retention Committee.
An alternate admission list may be established to fill vacancies that might occur before the beginning of class. Students who are not accepted must reapply to be considered for another admission cycle.